rz5424 problems

/ rz5424 problems #1  

joe04785

Silver Member
Tractor
XR3037
Hey all, I have a rz5424 Husqvarna zero turn with the Kohler Courage motor and I'm having problems. The unit has less than 3 hours on it. I finished mower my lawn yesterday so I decided to wash the mower. After I washed it and wiped it all down it wouldn't start. What would happen is the starter wouldn't engage to the flywheel. The starter will turn and turn but it wont turn the flywheel. After a minute or so it will finally start. Now I have only noticed this after I wash the mower every time. Why? Another problem I have is after washing the mower and when I finally get it started the idle is very jumpy. It will go up and down for a bit and then settle. Why? I've never had a mower do this before. This is a new unit and I'm very disappointed with it. Thanks

/ rz5424 problems #2  
Sounds like the starter bendix is sticking. Perhaps the cold from the wash water is the culprit. Put a few drops of oil on the bendix gear's bore so it can slide up and down the shaft.

Regarding jumpiness, I suspect water is shorting one of the plugs making it misfire. Try to keep water off the engine.

/ rz5424 problems #3  
Dan has hit it on the head :thumbsup:. In your manual if you read it they mention not to wash around motor or electrical because of what will happen like in your case water shorting out your electrical. I have the RZ 4824 and I only wash the outside of the deck with a house and wipe the engine down with a damp cloth.