Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Bought one from Lowe's about 45 days ago. Might try and take it back even though they say 30 days. Bar is smoking, and I've been having trouble getting it to stay running after the engine gets hot. Chain has been sharpened a couple times, last time by the dealer. Been cutting oak, a couple 20 or so inch logs but mostly smaller than the 16" bar. Why would the bar be smoking? Any chance Lowes will just refund my purchase money? I haven't run it 5 hours yet.

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #2  
Sounds like the bar is not getting any oil, removed the bar and clean the oil hole & the groove in the bar.

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #3  
Bar is probably not getting oil. Run the saw at full speed pointing toward the ground over some cardboard. Oil should be visible on the cardboard if the oiler is functioning.

Honestly, though, I strongly advise buying professional grade saws. If you're not happy demand your money back and go spend it on a pro saw from a dealer, not a box store.

A 40cc saw isn't gonna be much fun in 20" oak no matter how good it is.

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #4  
I think an inexperienced new owner can save a lot of money learning on and/or burning up a $400 Lowe's saw rather than doing the same with a $800 professional grade saw.

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #5  
Have you read the instruction manual that came with the saw at least twice?

Are you following the directions?

Have you purchased Bar Oil, which does not normally come with a saw? Are you refilling the bar oil reservoir periodically, before it empties? If you get sawdust in the bar reservoir it will plug up the bar oil pump.

Are you mixing in carefully measured Two Stroke Chainsaw Oil with your gasoline fuel in a dedicated, clean container?

Tightening the chain regularly as it stretches?

If you get the least amount of dirt/sand in the chain when cutting, the cutters will dull very quickly. Crud stays in the chain and dulls cutters for a long time.

Part of chain saw technique is teaching yourself to keep saw out of the dirt, ALWAYS. A sharp, snug chain puts a much reduced load on the rest of the saw. Do not cut dirty wood, burn it.

I do not know you but from the tenor of Post #1 I speculate that problems are related to lack of experience and not to the saw. Five hours is not very much time, especially spread out over 45 days.

Personally I like to buy Stihl products because Stihl dealers are pretty carefully selected and in my experience liberal with advice. Every Stihl dealer I have encountered provides shop service. I have been using chainsaws regularly for thirty years. My Stihl dealer for the last fifteen years periodically lays a fresh tip on me of stunning illumination.

Husky makes a good saw but you are on your own once out the door…..

Last edited:
   / Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #6  
Do you have bar chain oil in it when you run it?.

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435
Do you have bar chain oil in it when you run it?.

I do not think it is an oil issue. The bar has oil along the groove and it's slinging some out when I run the chain, I disassembled the bar, chain, and sprocket cover and cleaned everything well. Perhaps the port was clogged before?

My main symptom now is that it "bogs" down very easily when cutting. I suspect, but I don't know, that I need a new chain. I seem to have to sharpen it quite often and I have only sharpened, not attended to the depth gauges. I really don't know much about using and maintaining these machines unfortunately.

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #8  
I really don't know much about using and maintaining these machines.

Your Operatior's Manual has most of the information necessary.

You HAVE to keep dirt and sand off the chain. If you get dirt or sand on the chain you cannot sharpen it often enough.

Don't bother with depth gauges at this point.

How about answering inquiries in Post #5?

Cannot aid you unless you respond; also, responding is blog courtesy.

My main symptom now is that it "bogs" down very easily when cutting. I suspect, but I don't know, that I need a new chain.

It may be dull, loose chain. It may be that you have severely overheated the saw by not attending to directions in Operator's Manual, scuffing the piston or cylinder walls, permanently impairing power.

The Operator's Manual will tell you the Husky should be spewing CHIPS. If so, the chain cutters are sharp.

If Husky is spewing fuzzy stuff, the cutters are dull.

Last edited:
   / Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435
Sorry - just saw this post...

1. I am using Husqvarna bar oil. I am refilling it as necessary but I can't say that a little sawdust hasn't gotten in it.

2. I purchased Husqvarna pre-mixed fuel cans. I also have a 1 gallon fuel container that I am using ethanol free gas in, and adding 2 stroke oil.

3. Just tightened the chain, need to be more diligent with this.

4. I agree that my experience is a problem, I'm learning as I go and these things are more sensitive to their environment (dirt, dust) than I imagined.

/ Already disappointed in new Husvarna 435 #10  
I usually judge the sharpness of my chain by the size of the sawdust coming off it and how fast it's cutting ( which can also depend on the type of wood ( hard of soft) being cut). Fine powder instead of chips means the chain is dull. Usually when the chain is dull, the saw will rev ( i.e. not bog down, but just over rev without cutting, and overheat the bar.) Bogging down can be a sign of :
1)Filing down the rakers too much, which you haven't done. 2) Or high speed jet not opened enough (or too much). Does the exhaust smoke when it bogs. 3) Or just not enough saw (cc's) for the wood you're cutting, or for the chain your using. Is your chain a .325" or 3/8" pitch? Edit: also don't cut a tree for your dumb&$$ neighbor who also believes trese are fence posts and tacked barbed wire to it about 10 years ago, now hidden by new growth until found by me today!!! Grrrrr!!