Does new GT52XLS have diff lock

/ Does new GT52XLS have diff lock #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Looking at a new GARDEN tractor to replace my old Sears GT twin that is now 25 years old and stopped running. Has bad blow by, uses oil, and fuel pump is not available any more. I was looking at the Sears GT with the 54" deck and 26 HP kohler 7000 series engine and realized the Husky is the twin as they build them for sears. Price is about the same.

Is this new GT52XLS a good unit?

/ Does new GT52XLS have diff lock #2  
I don't know anything about the GT52XLS but,
here is a link to Husqvarna website where you can take a look at the Owners Manual for a GT52XLS
Hopefully it can provide the information you're looking for.

Owner's Manuals & Parts Lookup

/ Does new GT52XLS have diff lock #3  
No it does not. I just bought one a month or so ago, and can verify it does not. If I get the drive wheel in the air, it (the mower) does not move.
I must say, that other than that, this mower is a beast.

I am hoping some day Husky will put them in the lineup and I can convert mine. Of course it will be my luck they will change the diff housing and it won't retrofit.

Last edited:
   / Does new GT52XLS have diff lock
Thanks
Sears put the twin to this unit " pro line GT series " on sale and I had some reward points, so I paid a lot less than I could get the 52 online or my local dealer, which were priced the same. Husky must keep tight control on pricing. Thanks for the information though. Its good to know that the 730 trans is good.

/ Does new GT52XLS have diff lock #5  
I know Kohler had some serious issues for a few years on certain twin engines, one reason I steered clear of them. The Dealer Husky comes with the 24HP Kawasaki engine, and I wanted that engine specifically. Newer ones are coming with the B&S engines. B&S are good too, but I have heard tons of good about the Kawasaki engine.

Understood. The current Husky and the Sears both have the Kohler now. The two I was looking at are twins, except for the quick attach blade on the Sears

/ Does new GT52XLS have diff lock #7  
I know Kohler had some serious issues for a few years on certain twin engines, one reason I steered clear of them. The Dealer Husky comes with the 24HP Kawasaki engine, and I wanted that engine specifically. Newer ones are coming with the B&S engines. B&S are good too, but I have heard tons of good about the Kawasaki engine.

I was able to get my GTH52LS26 with the Kaw engine for a few bucks more. BUT - my old Rider 155 came with the Kohler engine and has served me very well for 13 years now.

No complaints from me on the Kohlers other than they were overrated on hp. The Kohler 15 hp never had the same power as my Snapper with the 8 hp BS motor. That factor has led me to believe that I CAN'T believe a single word about horsepower when referring to small engines. Those numbers don't seem to mean a thing other than a sales pitch tool.

Sorry... I drifted a bit from your original question. Senile I suppose...

/ Does new GT52XLS have diff lock #8  
Looking at the Husky web site, it shows the GT52's can be had with any of the 3, B&S Kawasaki or Kohler, with the Kohler being the lowest priced at 3199.00.

What's really misleading about HP numbers, is it's the torque that does the work. The Kohler MIGHT have produced the 15hp claimed, but at a sacrifice to torque. I had an old Murray with the 20hp side valve opposed twin, that lost a valve seat. The replacement engine for that one was recommended at 24hp to compensate for the lower torque. Horse power can be had fairly easily from RPM. For example, a smaller displacement but higher revving (SHORT STROKE) engine might produce equal hp to a larger displacement but lower revving (longer stroke) engine. Torque requires higher compression and more fuel and often longer strokes.

My 2005 Accord 3.0L v6 puts out 240hp, but about 170lbft of torque. The current 1/2 ton Dodge 3.0L v6 diesel also puts out 240hp, but 420lbft of torque.

Imagine putting my Honda engine in the Dodge truck????? Same rated horsepower!

I will say that the first 2 times I mowed with my Husky/Kawasaki combo, it put the old Murray to shame. The field grass I mow is often 2ft tall when I first start mowing, so big power (torque) was important for my needs.

/ Does new GT52XLS have diff lock #9  
powerscol

Does the Sears model have a stamped or welded deck? I was under the impression the welded (manufactured they call them) was only available through dealers.

If it's this model Sears.com that is not what I would call a twin to the Husky in question. Stamped deck. I cannot tell by the pics, and it does not say in the specs, but does it come with a quick connect for deck clean out? The Husky, you just hook a hose to the quick connect on the deck, turn on the water and run the mower with the blades engaged and watch the grass come flying out. Makes clean up nice and easy.

The husky has way thicker blades than my others have had. I need that for out here. These oaks are always shedding limbs and if they are less than 2" in diameter, I just run over them, and it grinds em up.

It has a fabricated deck, stamped and reinforced. (54” 11 Ga. Stamped Reinforced Deck for superior cutting performance with electric PTO for ease of use)

As for being the twin I verified this with Husky on the phone and sears, and visually looked at both this last weekend and Monday. Except for paint and the decks, they are identical. Even the Husky deck had stamped portions with reinforcements welded or bolted on.

Here is the link to the unit I am getting.
Sears.com

And the Husky Link
Husqvarna GT52XLS - Garden tractors

The Husky web site shows the Kaw engine, but one on dealers lot had the Kohler for 2015. Husqvarna GT52XLS 52 inch 26 HP (Kohler) Garden Tractor (2015 Model)

Last edited: