Front Wheel Issue - Husky YTH20K46

/ Front Wheel Issue - Husky YTH20K46 #1  

DKCDKC

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
My Husqvarna YTH20K46 riding lawn tractor has a pretty basic front wheel structure. The spindle simply runs through the tire rim with a clip on the end of the spindle. My problem is that something is worn badly so that the wheel wobbles a lot on the spindle and the tractor can't be steered.. I looked at the rims carefully and see no sign of roller bearings and such, although the rim has a grease fitting. When I look at a parts diagram for the rim and tire, it shows a "bearing flange" inserted into the rim from the outside side. When I look at the rim closely, there does seem to be some kind of insert, but I don't know how to get it out. I've used a hammer and punch from the other side of the rim without luck. Anyone have this issue and know how to extract the flange, or if it is likely the problem? Or is it going to be necessary to buy new rims. Help would be appreciated.

I picked the tractor up for a song at an auction because of the loose front tires. I'd rather get it running and use it than just piece it out.

/ Front Wheel Issue - Husky YTH20K46 #2  
You hammer the bearings out from the opposite side. It helps to support the rim so that the force from striking it goes all to the bearing - if not then the inflated tire bounces and absorbs the hit. Work your way around the bearing and it will come out. Replacements are only a few bucks each, but you can pick up generic roller bearings at a hardware store and upgrade for hardly any extra money.

/ Front Wheel Issue - Husky YTH20K46
You hammer the bearings out from the opposite side. It helps to support the rim so that the force from striking it goes all to the bearing - if not then the inflated tire bounces and absorbs the hit. Work your way around the bearing and it will come out. Replacements are only a few bucks each, but you can pick up generic roller bearings at a hardware store and upgrade for hardly any extra money.

Thanks. I got the things out and will check out some local hardware and related stores to see if I can upgrade to roller bearings. Looking forward to getting it running and see how it goes.