Tranny weak/slipping

/ Tranny weak/slipping #1  

drajj5

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 28, Bolens G14 repower
I have a Husqvarna garden tractor, Model GTH2448 and have been noticing that it will not pull hills or back up like it used to. When it is first started it seems to have no slippage and will drive well in either direction. However, after a short while it will barely back up and lose speed without moving the hydro lever. I now must work the lever more often to attain any speed whatsoever.

Is this tractor on its last limb? Engine and tractor are fine except for the drive issues....

Can hydraulic fluid be added or changed on these units within the transaxle?

Or is there and adjustment that can be made; to cure the issue?

/ Tranny weak/slipping #2  
From your owner's manual is the comment that the transaxle is sealed

The transaxle was sealed at the factory and fluid maintenance is not required for the life of the transaxle. Should
the transaxle ever leak or require servicing, contact your nearest authorized service center/department.

However, the transaxle will be driven by a v belt from the engine and checking its condition and tension would be worthwhile.
If you dont have an owner's manual you can download one from this lnk.
Download Husqvarna GTH2448T Owner's Manual

Dave M7040

/ Tranny weak/slipping #3  
Cross reference through the Tuff Torq catalog. If it's a K46 , they are a lightweight unit. Now some people rebuild them and claim afterwards the transmission is wonderful and will pull stumps.
There is a jobber on eBay that sells upgrade kits to the beefy K66.

/ Tranny weak/slipping
Thanks guys, it seems that the "upgrade to a better transaxle" is wayyy out of budget. I thought that there was a quick fix, but it seems after probing the web it is in need of a repair internally.. I think that I will try to get this season out of it and keep an eye out for a cheap/free parts donor. I will have to scavenge the local area's mower shops and may have some luck finding a replacement for the lil' tractor.

/ Tranny weak/slipping #5  
I have a Husqvarna garden tractor, Model GTH2448 and have been noticing that it will not pull hills or back up like it used to. When it is first started it seems to have no slippage and will drive well in either direction. However, after a short while it will barely back up and lose speed without moving the hydro lever. I now must work the lever more often to attain any speed whatsoever.

Is this tractor on its last limb? Engine and tractor are fine except for the drive issues....

Can hydraulic fluid be added or changed on these units within the transaxle?

Or is there and adjustment that can be made; to cure the issue?

I recently experienced the same problem with my GTH26V52LS. All of the sudden it wouldn't pull up my 25 degree pond dam bank. My first thought was that I burned out the transmission pulling my golf cart out of the woods and up some steep hills with it. Not so. I put both new belts on it and that cured the problem. My only disappointment was that the belts ran about $40 each from the dealer. Still, that was a cheap fix, comparatively.