Husqvarna Rider 16 Bioclip 103 deck problem

/ Husqvarna Rider 16 Bioclip 103 deck problem #1  

rlwcons

Tractor
Husqvarna Rider 16
Hi all,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I searched for my issue and didn't find anything, so I'm asking here.

I've got a Husqvarna Rider 16 with a Bioclip 103 deck. I bought it used from a neighbor 7 or 8 years ago, and it's been a great riding mower. Coming from MTD riders, it took a while to get the hang of the different Swedish engineering, but, all-in-all, I've been really happy with it, and have managed to do all my own repair and maintenance on the thing.

Lately, I've had a problem with the bolt that holds one of the blade bearings. This is the center bolt in the bearing. It manages to work itself loose. When it first happened last fall, it worked itself out to the point that the bolt head melted a hole in the plastic cover. I torqued it down and went on my merry way.

As I was mowing yesterday, it did it again. I pulled the deck, took off the cover, and saw that bolt had worked loose. I locked the pulley and torqued down the bolt to about 18 ft.lbs., as specified by the shop manual. I took it out for a spin, and it seemed to work fine.

Today, I went back out to finish the mowing job I started yesterday, and it happened again, so that's why I'm asking the internets if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to fix it.

I've attached a picture that shows the bolt I'm talking about.

Like I said above, this has been a great mower, works perfectly for my needs.

Any help will be appreciated, and apologies in advance if this wasn't the proper place to post this question.

Thanks,

RLW

Attachments

• BioClipBladeBearingBoltProblem.jpg
    BioClipBladeBearingBoltProblem.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,195
   / Husqvarna Rider 16 Bioclip 103 deck problem #2  
I suspect that there is a key inside that mandrel that has sheared. Once sheared there is nothing but the bolt to prevent it from loosening. Best bet is to pull that mandrel apart and check for the key.

Replacement keys are available, but I've made my own as well. While you have the mandrel open repacking it with grease would be beneficial. Those "sealed bearings" are not really sealed... Worse case, eBay has a lot of those mandrels listed for $40 or less. Silly me, I paid near $100 each for mine when I replaced them last year, after 12 years of use.

I'll be interested to learn what you find. Please post the fix when you're done.

/ Husqvarna Rider 16 Bioclip 103 deck problem
Thanks for the response. I'll let you know what I find out.

/ Husqvarna Rider 16 Bioclip 103 deck problem
Well...

I finally got around to popping the deck and taking a look at it. The bolt was almost all the way out. Even before I released the spring and loosened the tensioner, I could lift the toothed pulley off the shaft most of the way. Oddly, the keys, shaft, and pulley were fine. I took it apart to verify that. I'm still not sure why the bolt keeps coming loose. I put everything back together and this time torqued to bolt to 25 ft.lbs. (the specs call for 18).

I ran it for about 5 minutes after putting everything back together, and the bolt seemed to stay put. I even dripped some rubbing alcohol on the bolt head to see if something was heating up, and it didn't even evaporate. Touched it with my fingertip and it was cool to the touch.

If it comes loose again, I'll paint Loctite on the thing and try again.

RLW

Attachments

• MandrelExploded.jpg
    MandrelExploded.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 605
   / Husqvarna Rider 16 Bioclip 103 deck problem #5  
If the keys 506-93 62-01 are fine, is it possible that it is missing washer 535 41 11-01? Or perhaps bolt 506-93 62-01 is a tad too long and bottoming out? Regardless, you definitely need Loctite on that bolt, then torque to the 18#.

Clean the oil off of the bolt good, then add blue Loctite. (The red Loctite is almost like welding - it probably would take a heat wrench to remove it if/when you need to.)