New owner here

/ New owner here #11  
Good news is once I cut back the darn plastic deflector, it throws grass much better now. Doesn't bog down as much.
I wanted to do something about the deflector too, but I did not want to cut it off or shorten it, although it does seem too long. I looked online for ideas and every pic I could find someone used a bungee cord or rope tied across the right knee holding up the deflector. I was going to do that, but the thought of that tied across my leg, I figured I would get tangled up in it or it would come loose and get wound up in the blades. The hole in the metal deck that the grass goes though shows several inches of the right blade exposed, which I thought was pretty dangerous design in itself, with only the plastic deflector to cover over it.

Then I noticed a bracket on the deck (I think it is welded) that sticks up just outboard of the deflector spring that the deflector rides on top of when down. I cut a piece of 5/8" scrap wood I had about 3" x 1" (guess-toe-mate) and took a knife and cut a curve in one side to kinda match the metal deck hump there. I used it as a wedge between the bracket & deflector spring for the plastic deflector to sit on. I did not take any measurements, but it holds the plastic deflector shield up about level and flat now, sticking straight out. I mowed with it like this today, and it made a big difference. The grass (even damp grass) is thrown way out to the side now about the width of my previously mowed pass or further. I can also mow faster with much less bogging down in high grass. I like it. I was careful not to bump anything with the deflector for fear the little block of wood might get knocked out, but a couple little wood screws threw the deflector to hold the wooden block in place permanently would solve that, now that I know it works for me. I don't have a bagger yet, so I'm not sure if the block of wood screwed to the deflector would be in the way, of the chute but probably not.

/ New owner here
Here's the chute after a visit with a Rural King made in Taiwan hacksaw IMG_20160824_171826.jpg

/ New owner here #13  
Good news is once I cut back the darn plastic deflector, it throws grass much better now. Doesn't bog down as much.

We have the 24HP Kawasaki motor on ours. It bogs down, too, in heavy or wet grass. I'm thinking it's more of the deck design than the motor.

As for the deflector, we drilled a hole near the outside edge and bungied it to the right side seat spring. I almost always cut with it up.

/ New owner here
Cutting back the chute made a difference. This thing does not cut anywhere as good as dad's 1994 Ariens but it does ok I suppose

/ New owner here #15  
I had problems too of grass clogging up so what I did I just drilled a small hole in the deflector and put a small length of rope through it and mounted the other end to the mower on the up down lever. This way when I lower or raise the deck my deflector moves with it and stays up about two inches higher and shoots the grass and spread it more evenly and no clogging up. I have done this on just about any mower that I have own over the years and had a lot of comments from others who tried it.

/ New owner here #16  
My only problem is that its a gas hog and you cant see how much is in it.

/ New owner here #17  
You people that mow with the deflector up apparently have no respect for anyone . Like waving a loaded gun around .

/ New owner here
You people that mow with the deflector up apparently have no respect for anyone . Like waving a loaded gun around .

No we just want our mowers to perform as they should.

/ New owner here #19  
For your info the deflector is only a few inches up just enough to stop it from clogging up and I have been doing this for years and have never hit anyone or thing. Try it yourself before you throw in your negative input.

/ New owner here #20  

If I can hit someone with the deflector up, then it truly would be like a loaded gun. Doubtful, though, that it's going to throw anything 1/4 mile to my nearest neighbor. Thanks for your uninformed comment nonetheless. :rolleyes: