24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle?

/ 24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle? #1  

K man

Platinum Member
Tractor
2014 Kioti CK 30 HST with cab. 2018 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 EPS UTV
Hi everyone I need some input here. My Husqvarna came with a Kawasaki engine and noticed this spring that the engine was purging in low idle so I changed the plugs but it still purges. My motor only has 30 hours on it. I have called the dealer and he says probably a piece of dirt and it will clear itself out but this was 2 months ago and it still purges. I called him back and he asked what kind of gas do I use and I said reg and he said I should try a higher octane gas. So I bought some higher octane 89 and that did not fix it. Today I went out and got some higher octane 91 and will be filling it up with it and see if it goes away.
I did check the plug again and one is completely clean while the other as a little film on it nothing bad so I cleaned and re gapped it and still purges. If I put on the choke it dies down so something tells me that I may have to open the carb up and clean the jets but not sure how many jets and which one to clean. Can someone help thanks
Gilles

/ 24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle? #2  
I don't know but have same engine so will watch and hope to learn. For clarity, I am not sure what you mean when you say "purge" ?

/ 24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle?
Purge or surge not sure which one this is what the dealer calls.The engine runs uneven at low rpms ( revs up and down) Funny I also have a Kawasaki 700 ATV and have had since new 2004 and never had any problems with it all so this puzzles me. I got some high octane 91 gas today so will see what happens after I fill and mow the lawn ago. Other than that I love my EZ turn mower.

/ 24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle? #4  
More than likely it's your carb. I've had the same thing happen on an older Kawasaki, a newer Honda, and an older Briggs Vanguard. I treated them with Seafoam which worked pretty well. It took several heavy soaking treatments and then a couple tanks with double doses though. The Honda still surges a little.
My problems started when I stopped using as much gas but still bought 10 or 15 gallons at a time, and it was stored too long (even with Stabil). Now I only buy 89 or above, and only enough to last a month or 2.

/ 24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle? #5  
Sounds like a governor problem. Neighbor has a lawnmower that does the same thing. Could be the dealer is just hoping your warranty runs out before you bring it in.

/ 24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle? #6  
add some seafoam or lucas injector cleaner to gas tank. I use lucas..

Thanks guys. I got the motor running smoothly again for how long is a guess. This is what I did
1 took both plugs out cleaned and re-gaped them.
2 re-installed them in opposite plug hole
3 drained whatever was left in tank about 1/2 liter
4 filled with 91 octane gas
Fired her up she ran rough for about 1 minute then she leveled off and starting to purr lol shut her off and started again and she is running smoothly like she is suppose to.
Thanks for the advise
Gilles

Well, I mowed the lawn yesterday afternoon and my EZ rider ran great so I guess the problem with the engine surging is over with phew !!! was a bit worried there for awhile cause the warranty on it expired 2 month ago. At first I really thought the dealer was just trying to stall till the warranty went off. Always had high regards for Husqvarna and Kawasaki products and still do.

/ 24 hp Kawasaki engine purging at low idle? #9  
I ran into the same scenario with my 24hp Kawasaki powered Husqvarna after about 130 hrs.. Cleaning the plugs didn't seem to do a thing for me. I swapped them out for new plugs. Either the plugs were the problem or moisture in the gas was it. My gas had been sitting around for about 4 months...
Either way, the problem cleared up.

Except the problem started with mine art 32 hours. It had to be the gas cause never had that problem last season. Maybe I did not run the motor with the stabilizer long enough before I stored it for the winter. Now it is running fine.