ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
Anyone have any occasion to compare Husqvarna's ZTR with Scat and/or Exmark?

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #2  
Anyone have any occasion to compare Husqvarna's ZTR with Scat and/or Exmark?

No but I compared Exmark, John Deere, Hustler, Kubota, and Dixie Chopper and Hustler won out.

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #3  
No. but I have had my eXmark for 16 years and mow 8-9 acres each week with it
Wouldn't ever consider ever getting rid of it
Also had two adjoining neighbors buy one after watching how mine has performed al these years

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #4  
I've loosely compared most major brands. If I buy a new ZTR it'll be a Ferris IS2100. Although probably not the most bang for your buck IMO the suspension is well worth it. My second choice which I could only afford used would be a pre emissions diesel Kubota.

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark
No but I compared Exmark, John Deere, Hustler, Kubota, and Dixie Chopper and Hustler won out.

Good info; Thanks. I was surprised by your findings but will expand my comparison for sure.

Although the Husqvarna appears cheaper than the other 'quality' brands, I do find it lacks some features as well.

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #6  
I was leaning towards the husqvarna ZTR which seemed like the best bang for the buck. Found a review online which the owner felt that it was a little light in the rear making turning without spinning the tires difficult. Could be the operator? I saw a lawn contractor using one and stopped to ask him how he liked it. He was under repairing the stabilizer bar for the second time within 200 hours. He said don't buy one , they are junk. So take that for whatever it's worth.

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark
That's not the kind of problems that I'd like to be buying into. While I am pretty much a Husqvarna fan, I was looking over their ZTRs yesterday. The little 30 inch model is clearly a light-weight residential 2-3 year mower. By the time you get up to their big hefty models you're into the well known commercial mower price range.

I did read up a bit on the Hustler. The first sight I bumped into had about 2 pages of dissatisfied buyers. Reviews: Hustler Zero Turn Mowers Then the older reviews had nothing but good things to say about them. hmmm - it's a case where the more I read, the more confused I get. Hustler did have a demonstration video comparing their ZTR to tractor type mowers... no comparison with those! ZTR is definitely the way to go with slopes and tight turns.

Not to be a commercial for Scat, but I did hire out a 'yard man' to cut the dam banks on two ponds here on my place. The banks are so steep that one can not walk across them. Normally, I spend 2 days whacking away at them with a weed eater.

The guy put his big Scat mowers on them and cut them in short order. He not only was cutting 2' high weeds, but was hauling butt the whole time. Sure was impressive, but I'm aware that he was probably using a $12K or higher machine. I'm not in the market for a $12K mower :)

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #8  
Well I own a RZ 4824 Husqvarna zero turn and love it. This is my 3rd season and the only complaint I had was the engine purging this year while idling till I change the fuel to a higher octane 91 and has been purring ever since. Other than that this machine does not rip up the grass when turning and I mow some steep hills and the machine is pretty stable but I still lean towards the incline. Give me another couple of years and we will see how I feel about my RZ.

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #9  
I bought an exmark in 2008, I use it in the yard, and the barnyard and orchard area, which is a fairly rough .never had a problem of any kind, starts easily, and is easy to work on when servicing, changing belts etc
Which ever way you decide to go, I wouldn't advise getting a box store model, or one that is on the small side, durability might be a problem.

/ ZTR comparison - Husq vs Scat & Exmark #10  
I'm impressed with the husky PZ ztr. Solid feel and great cut. Takes a lot to get the deck to bounce, it stays put. I leaned on a Deere 7-iron on the showroom floor and the deck shifted, lifted the opposite side up about 2" - I did not like that at all. For a deck with a step welded to it to stand on it shouldn't budge just leaning in it with one foot. I've seen a bunch of scags with frames cracked in the same place. Can't say anything about exmark they've all seemed really good. That's the brunt of the z's around here.