Husqvarna Hover Trimmer

/ Husqvarna Hover Trimmer #11  
I got a question about them. Do they work over water.

I have a pond, grass and weed grow out the first few feet from shore. I can use a weed eater but if this would work it looks alot better.

/ Husqvarna Hover Trimmer #12  
Flymowers are still used alot on golf courses. I've used them mostly around ponds and on steep banks.

They won't hover on water.

par4thecourse

/ Husqvarna Hover Trimmer #13  
Re-opening the thread, as I am interested in acquiring one of the gas-powered hover trimmer/mowers.

Does anyone have one of the Flymos from Husqvarna? I see that for the USA market they are now equipped w/ a 4-stroke Honda engine. On-line, they are available from The lawnmowershop {HERE}

The website for the Eastman Industries Hover Mower is active {HERE} , but I have not seen any independent info or reviews on this product.

Does anyone have and use one of either of these brands or perhaps some other label that I am not yet aware of? Thanks for your help.

/ Husqvarna Hover Trimmer #14  
I've actually got one of the 1960s-vintage Toro Flymos with a real metal lawnmower blade. I found it about a year ago on ebay. It uses a two-stroke Tecumseh engine. There's a centrifugal fan above the blade that forces air to the edges of the mower deck to provide lift without pushing the grass down where you're trying to cut it. The cut height is adjusted by putting spacers between the blade and the fan. The deck is fiberglass to save weight. They even ducted the engine exhaust into the fan to give a little added lift.

I remember ads for these when I was a kid. I always wanted one and finally found it. Unfortunately there are too many idiots and too many lawyers in the US to sell them here.

Joe Padavano

/ Husqvarna Hover Trimmer #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mine wasn't a Husky though. It was a Flymo. Flymo is owned now by Electro-Lux Products )</font>

Actually, it was a Husqvarna. Look at all the brands <font color="red">Electrolux</font> has now. They've been doing some shopping!

/ Husqvarna Hover Trimmer #17  
hobbyfarm,
Thanks for that resource! It will certainly go into my Favoites for future reference.

As near as I can tell, the only currently manufactured hover type mowers are the Husqvarna (Flymo label) and the Eastman. They both show up on your resource list. Before I plunk down some serious $ for one, I was hoping to hear from Forum folks on their experiences.

I have gathered that the original style gas-powered Flymos, with a standard rotary mower blade, are not made for USA markets any longer. Current hover style mowers for USA either have a triple string array (Husky and Eastman) or triple blade array (Eastman only). Which type to get, if any??