Mower won't start - I tried the following

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #1  

TexasDad76

Tractor
Husqvarna 2754GLS and GT52XLS
I have an 8 year old Husqvarna 2754GLS.

Recently, the machine started "dying" while I was mowing. The few times it's happened, I was able to restart it with no problems.

This year, I haven't had much opportunity to leave old gas in it, since we got a LOT of rain this year. Between my yard and my mother-in-law's house, the mower never gets more than a 3 day rest without being started and used.

A few days ago, however, it got worse: The machine refuses to start. At first, it would start for 1 second, and immediately die.

Here is what I've done/eliminated:

1. Checked the oil -- it was on "add some" so I added a bit. I smelled it, and there was no gasoline smell (in the past, this mower was leaking gas into the engine, so I installed a manual cutoff in the gas line. This has worked well, up to and including the present day)

2. I cleaned the air filter and the sponge that covers the air filter (both were filthy)

3. I drained every drop of gas from the gas tank (in the past, a rubber washer deteriorated and let water into the gas tank -- I wanted to eliminate this possibility)

4. I installed a new fuel filter

5. I put in brand new (bought within the past week) gas, as well as some Sea Foam to clean the engine/lines. Then I primed the new filter, to the point that it has gas in it now. No problems there.

6. I tried many, many times to start it, but I have a battery charger which I've been using constantly to keep the battery charged between "attempts".

It seems to me that I've eliminated *a lot* of what could be wrong with this mower. Unless there were some water in the gas and that was still in the engine -- I really don't understand what could be this mower's problem. Is the fuel pump failing or failed? There must be some other part that is failing now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Matthew

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #2  
'No Start' problems are difficult to chase down. But, a step by step trace should help.

The first thing I'd do is to nail down the reason for it not starting... check to be sure it is getting spark at the plugs; if not, replace the plugs. Remove the air filter to eliminate that possibility. Spray some fuel into the carb. If it then doesn't try to start, the problem must be an electrical switch such as the seat safety switch, ignition switch, etc.. Eliminating the obvious problems should tell you something.

Keep us posted please.

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #3  
Sounds like the carburetor has become clogged. Remove and clean the carb if you can. Or, replace the carb with a new one if you can find one.

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #4  
Gem99 has the correct answer. Start to systematically check items that could cause an engine to not start. Spark, compression, fuel, etc. When you remove the plugs look at them. Are they filled with carbon deposits, tips burnt down, etc.. What color is the tip, gray, black, etc. Are the plugs wet when you removed them?

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #5  
I have an 8 year old Husqvarna 2754GLS.

Recently, the machine started "dying" while I was mowing. The few times it's happened, I was able to restart it with no problems.

This year, I haven't had much opportunity to leave old gas in it, since we got a LOT of rain this year. Between my yard and my mother-in-law's house, the mower never gets more than a 3 day rest without being started and used.

A few days ago, however, it got worse: The machine refuses to start. At first, it would start for 1 second, and immediately die.

Here is what I've done/eliminated:

1. Checked the oil -- it was on "add some" so I added a bit. I smelled it, and there was no gasoline smell (in the past, this mower was leaking gas into the engine, so I installed a manual cutoff in the gas line. This has worked well, up to and including the present day)

2. I cleaned the air filter and the sponge that covers the air filter (both were filthy)

3. I drained every drop of gas from the gas tank (in the past, a rubber washer deteriorated and let water into the gas tank -- I wanted to eliminate this possibility)

4. I installed a new fuel filter

5. I put in brand new (bought within the past week) gas, as well as some Sea Foam to clean the engine/lines. Then I primed the new filter, to the point that it has gas in it now. No problems there.

6. I tried many, many times to start it, but I have a battery charger which I've been using constantly to keep the battery charged between "attempts".

It seems to me that I've eliminated *a lot* of what could be wrong with this mower. Unless there were some water in the gas and that was still in the engine -- I really don't understand what could be this mower's problem. Is the fuel pump failing or failed? There must be some other part that is failing now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Matthew

Sounds like the carburetor has become clogged. Remove and clean the carb if you can. Or, replace the carb with a new one if you can find one.
YES. ... OP, you didnt say you cleaned the carb. A drop or two of water in the main jet pickup well will give the exact symptoms you describe, worsening as water accumulates near the critical point. Pls check that 1st. It could be that easy.

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #6  
Ditto spraying fuel in the intake. Starter fluid will also work for the test, but dont go overboard with it.

If it fires (attempts to run), the issue is fuel related. Not getting fuel through the carb.

IF it dont even attempt, the issue is gonna be electrical/ignition related

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following
A big Thank You to all who chimed in so far!

To fill in a few details I forgot, plus a bit of a follow-up:

1. My 2754GLS mower uses a Briggs & Stratton engine.
2. I replaced the fuel line hose, from where it enters the front end, all the way to the carburetor.
3. When I removed the last 2 "sections" of old fuel line hose, I noted that there was fuel in both.
4. It does start up for a couple seconds when I spray some carb cleaner directly into the intake and then start it up (using the normal ignition mechanism).
5. It does make plenty of noise when I turn the key and try to start it -- the usual sounds you'd expect. It just never starts the engine.
6. When I let the mower sit there long enough, sometimes it will start -- for a few seconds. It always ends up "dying", no matter if I push the choke button back down, or leave it up.

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following
For me, cleaning the carb seems like a big deal -- something for experts and "small engine repair" guys to do. I feel like it's beyond me. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I make it. I have no problem doing a lot of the maintenance on my riding mowers: change battery, change oil, change oil filter, air filter, fuses, light bulbs, splice wires that are severed, etc. In other words, I have average mechanical ability; I'm not terrified at the prospect of getting out a tool and doing some minor repairs to a device. But I'm not a mechanic, and I know my limits.

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #9  
A big Thank You to all who chimed in so far!

To fill in a few details I forgot, plus a bit of a follow-up:

1. My 2754GLS mower uses a Briggs & Stratton engine.
2. I replaced the fuel line hose, from where it enters the front end, all the way to the carburetor.
3. When I removed the last 2 "sections" of old fuel line hose, I noted that there was fuel in both.
4. It does start up for a couple seconds when I spray some carb cleaner directly into the intake and then start it up (using the normal ignition mechanism).
5. It does make plenty of noise when I turn the key and try to start it -- the usual sounds you'd expect. It just never starts the engine.
6. When I let the mower sit there long enough, sometimes it will start -- for a few seconds. It always ends up "dying", no matter if I push the choke button back down, or leave it up.
For me, cleaning the carb seems like a big deal -- something for experts and "small engine repair" guys to do. I feel like it's beyond me. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I make it. I have no problem doing a lot of the maintenance on my riding mowers: change battery, change oil, change oil filter, air filter, fuses, light bulbs, splice wires that are severed, etc. In other words, I have average mechanical ability; I'm not terrified at the prospect of getting out a tool and doing some minor repairs to a device. But I'm not a mechanic, and I know my limits.
The problem is in the carb. ...True, actually cleaning a carb could sure be considered a big deal. ... But, checking and cleaning out water in it that could likely be obstructing the main jet is not. Does the carb have a float bowl. Is there a drain screw in the bottom? If there is youre home free on that score.

/ Mower won't start - I tried the following #10  
It sounds like you've located the problem, i.e. the fuel system. Just for good measure, I'd go ahead and replace the spark plugs and give it one more try. New plugs will help even if you get it running good.

While I'm a certified shade-tree mechanic, I agree with you that overhauling that dinky little carb can turn out to be a major ordeal. I've probably rebuilt over a hundred automobile carbs in my life, modified a few for better air/gas flow, etc.. But danged if I will ever mess with one of those little carbs again. Those little orifices can easily get plugged up, and some are blind orifices, i.e. they're routed somewhere inside the carb; not obvious to us laymen.

They're so sensitive and so easy to screw up, I recommend writing down the part number, carb name, etc. and just buy another one and stick it on. You can't go far wrong just replacing it, and usually for much less than a service charge at the repair shop. The new one will come to you pretty well adjusted to run right.

I've bought a couple of carbs off of eBay for under $30. New at the dealer could well cost you in excess of $80, for the exact same carb.