Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN #1  

Teachu2

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DS3510 Husqvarna GT48DXLS
A huge THANK YOU to all the folks who posted about this model. For the last three years, we have lived on five acres in the Sierra Nevada foothills, with some steep slopes and lots of oak trees. We have about half an acre of "lawn", the rest is native grasses and weeds. About two acres of that is sloped to the point that it was difficult to impossible to mow with our Deere L130, and the trees and rocks limited our Kioti tractor severely, so it got cut with weedwackers. This consumed a great deal of time and energy, so we started looking for a riding mower that could handle the terrain.

We eliminated all the box stores' wares. The closest city is Bakersfield, which has several established tractor dealers but lawn/garden tractors were limited to Kubota, Deere, and Sears. Kubota lacked an acceptable model, and Sears is too much of a crapshoot to gamble on. We'd nearly resigned ourselves to paying for a Deere X570 when the threads started popping up on the GT48DXLS. The local Husqvarna dealers listed on the website are chainsaw shops, with zero interest in selling a mower. My local lawnmower repair shop was briefly listed as a dealer on the website, but then wasn't - and I'd never seen a new mower on their tiny sales floor. I called them, and was told "We're GOING to be a dealer, soon" so I asked them to have the new owner call me regarding getting one of these. No call back, and the rumors about this model were flying about: "They are a special run, and not available in a CA version", "They were a special run, and are sold out", and "They don't exist". I finally located one at a dealer in Reno (8 hours each way), and was ready to buy it, when the local lawnmower guy called me and set the record straight - new model, available in CA version, in stock in the Nevada warehouse - and he'd been formally approved as a dealer that morning. Four business days later, it was prepped and delivered (late yesterday). First new mower they've ever sold - they'll remember me.

I spent a couple hours today attacking the slopes. This machine impressed and amazed me. It is, in my case, a perfect match. It climbs like a goat - the locking differential is far better than I'd even hoped. It's insanely nimble, allowing me to mow around trees with ease. It's very stable, and a joy to drive. It backs up with authority. It seems to be tough as nails - I was NOT gentle with it. The (standard) brushguard is a great feature, and got tested against brush, trees, and boulders. The mowing deck it outstanding - throws heavy 10-12" grass about 10', zero clogs. Seems like it will hold up to impacts well.

At this initial outing, I'm extremely happy. It meets my needs and exceeds my expectations, at half the price of the Deere, with a dealer who wants my business. Without the excellent information posted here by TBN members, I never would have known about this outstanding value. Thank you all! :thumbsup:

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN #2  
I'm quite 'chuffed' for you Mate. Good stuff... and yes, you'll have a special place with your dealership.

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN #3  
We eliminated all the box stores' wares. The closest city is Bakersfield, which has several established tractor dealers but lawn/garden tractors were limited to Kubota, Deere, and Sears. Kubota lacked an acceptable model, and Sears is too much of a crapshoot to gamble on.

If you mean Sears the company, I agree. But I hope you know that the more expensive Sears lawn/garden tractors are made by Husqvarna. Years ago I had heard that sales of the Sears models outnumbered the actual Husqvarna models before they spread distribution to Lowes and other big stores.

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN #4  
Really appreciate the current info you get on this site! Not infrequent that "we" learn of something like this before the dealer knows. Just called my dealer and found out two thinks...one "my" guy has sold his dealership (small dealer in a small town) AND the new dealer know nothing ambit the new GT48DXLS. He seems energized with new ownership and I am hoping/guessing he will find a new unit.

Couple of questions... 1) Sure wish the K66 transaxle had filter and drain plug...I think it is an option form Tuff-Torq if the manufacturer wants to pay a few more bucks when designing the tractor. Is assume it is not too hard for a dealer to drain and fill the oil at some interval?

2) Locking Differential...is this the "automatic" locking differential vs one that you "engage" by a dash button or a foot engagement "pedal"??? I have read a number of posts that complain that the automatic locker "decides" to engage at in-opportune times...such as when turning a corner in very wet grass. Result is a kind of plowing with the front wheels not wanting to turn. Not sure if you can by-pass the auto part and add a switch to engage? I also am pleased to hear the "new" fab deck seems to exit the grass better...many complaints about clogging of the fab deck prior to Husq changing with the new model???

All-in-all...not sure I can justify $6K for a JD 5xx series to get a manual engaging rear locker and a K72 Tuff Torq with replaceable oil filter and a drain plug. Also, JD only offers the longer 0% financing of the X7xx series and I love to buy with 60 months zero interest.

I will let you know what dealer says...Thanks again for the current info...Tom R

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN
If you mean Sears the company, I agree. But I hope you know that the more expensive Sears lawn/garden tractors are made by Husqvarna. Years ago I had heard that sales of the Sears models outnumbered the actual Husqvarna models before they spread distribution to Lowes and other big stores.

I'm aware of that - but would rather have a Husqvarna unit built to Husqvarna's specs.

The differential lock is on a toggle switch on the dash. It does increase the turning radius, and the instructions say to stop to engage/disengage. It is VERY effective. It is possible to lift the front tires on a steep uphill slope if you are not paying attention. PAY ATTENTION.

The owner's manual says the transaxle is factory sealed for life, but it appears that Tuff Torq sells parts, including both a seal kit and a repair kit. Hmmmmm.....

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN #7  
The differential lock is on a toggle switch on the dash. It does increase the turning radius, and the instructions say to stop to engage/disengage. It is VERY effective. It is possible to lift the front tires on a steep uphill slope if you are not paying attention. PAY ATTENTION.

Thanks...I am pleased that it is not the automatic engaging rear locker. Thanks for the heads up on the uphill issue. I can understand that with good rear traction you might just get into trouble by lifting the front tires off the ground. I have had rear tire weights and tire chains of close to 20 years and a couple of times got startled with the sudden light front end giving it some throttle to get up a steep hill..I will watch that closely. BTW...I was thinking of switching to "HDAP" tires like the JD 5xx series has on the rear...or add wheel weights and chains again...I guess I should try it out with just the rear diff lock first? I sure have liked the rear weights and tire chains...I spend a lot of time on trail in the woods.

The owner's manual says the transaxle is factory sealed for life, but it appears that Tuff Torq sells parts, including both a seal kit and a repair kit. Hmmmmm.....
Sounds like it would not be too traumatic to get the transmission oil changed at some pretty long interval...measured in years :)

I look forward to trying it out in tall weeds and grass...my 42" Sears 25HP with the wheel weights and chains did a very respectable job for 15 years and I never had to unclog the deck...except before I learned to bungee up the discharge chute. I will probably enjoy a new piece of equipment...but the old did a pretty good job for me. TMR

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN #8  
Good to hear your enjoying your Husqvarna and it's doing a fine job for you, I have had nothing but luck with the Husqvarna products that I have owned.

I would love to have deff lock, that would be super handy on my mower.

Now all you need is to stock up on oil, oil and air filters and I like to have at least one spare deck belt handy. I have never had any luck buying generic deck belts, only name brand belts sold at a dealer, not much more money and last twice as long.

My L130 had ag tires on the rear. My first thought was to put ags on the new Husky, but I decided it didn't cost me a dime to try the original equipment ones first. I found them to be good enough, and far smoother on packed ground, so I'll debate the choices when they need to be replaced.

/ Another new GT48DXLS owner - Thanks to TBN #10  
Glad to see another GT48DXLS out there. I was at my purchasing dealer today and they are sold out of this model. I was the first to buy one from them and they had 3 others in stock. So he has sold 4 this spring and wished he had more. He said he was unable to order more of this model. Hopefully you remain satisfied with yours!