Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
These two equipment items in combination do a great job.

But, I recently got a full load of wet, mulched leaves into the Cyclone Rake trailer/bagger. It was so heavy I couldn't lift the bag on its pivot. I had to dig out some of the wet stuff first to lighten it before dumping.

I noticed while operating that as the bag/trailer got heavier, the authority over front steering went down. At full load, it was almost funny on a flat level road but I wouldn't want that on anything slippery or on a slope. Turning the front wheels just resulted in them being cocked to the side while skidding forward. After a short interval, the rear wheels on the trailer would start to pivot and the turn would begin. Definitely slow motion reaction, due to rear weight.

Would front mounted weights on the Husqvarna overcome this, and is anyone else using them?

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake #2  
I'd say you will want to come up with some sort of ballast for sure. Sounds wicked.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake #3  
Sounds like it does good in wet leaves. Bet it really does good in dry ones. Probably won't need no weights ether.. They do look nice.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake
I did another session, this time with dry leaves. At about a 3/4 load in the hopper, I could notice some steering effect but not like before. I think I need a little weight up front.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake #5  
Keep your eye open for some old iron bar-bell weights at maybe a yard sale or such. Pretty cheap most of the time. Makes nice ballast. Can be made to slide off and on easily.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake
I have some suitcase weights for an old tractor, but each one is about 100lbs I guess. Probably too much?

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake #7  
I have some suitcase weights for an old tractor, but each one is about 100lbs I guess. Probably too much?

Yea that might be pushing it. 30-40# I think would be a starting point. Much more than that could be hard steering when nothing is the wagon and maybe not good for your front axle.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS with Cyclone Rake #8  
I made up little 20# weights (round) that I mounted on the front tires on one of my garden tractors. Just enough to help keep the front end from sliding around when plowing snow. They fit in a 8" rim.