Bad gas?

/ Bad gas? #1  

GirlWhoWantsTractor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2018 Mahindra 26XL HST, Husqv GT48XLsi & YTH48LS
Just had complete service done by Husq mechanic.

Engine surges and gives explosive bangs when idling or driving, but not when mowing. Then when I stop it, turn the idle down before turning it off, the explosions get louder. After the engine cuts off, it gives one final very loud bang like a gunshot.

This will be an easy one for you guys....I hope.

/ Bad gas? #2  
How old the gas?
Twin cylinder?
Chock fully off?
Notice any oil leaking from motor head?

/ Bad gas?
How old the gas?
Twin cylinder?
Chock fully off?
Notice any oil leaking from motor head?

Gas is a few months old. (Someone else filled it.)

Engine: 24HP/724cc Briggs & Stratton Endurance Series V-Twin Engine

I believe the choke was operated correctly. On while starting, just for a few seconds.

Leaking oil: Not that I can see. It's a less-than-2-year-old tractor with light use, so I hope not! However the main engine clutch was just replaced.

/ Bad gas? #4  
Make certain your spark plug is tightly seated .

/ Bad gas? #6  
To start with the fuel should be changed out, but it sounds like an idle air bleed issue with the carburetor. The newer 1 barrel carburetors seem to have issue with that. You could contact the service person and have them recheck. It is possibly not something covered in normal preventive maintenance, but if it was running poorly- they could have at least talked to you about it. In regards to after fire: When you turn off your ignition switch, there is unspent fuel in the intake manifold and combustion chambers which ignites due to the heat. There is an anti-backfire solenoid at the base of the carburetor which closes at that instant the switch is turned off. It is there to prevent more fuel from being pulled from the bowl of the carburetor. That is how this happens. You can verify that the solenoid is working by detecting a click at the solenoid when the key is cycled between off and on.

/ Bad gas? #7  
Still reeling a bit from eating BBQ and Mexican this evening. I thought I might be able to contribute to this thread. Sorry.

/ Bad gas?
It's been constant problems with this tractor, in case you haven't seen any of my other posts about it.....

Thing is, it's usually running fine when first dropped off after service or fixing, at least for a short time, like for a couple of hours. Then, another problem arises, not always the same one.

I've lost track over the months but remember distinctly the first week I had this bran' new tractor, the motor clutch dropped out. Two starter switches, battery failed, blade assembly fell apart, etc., etc. IDK at this point I've forgotten all the stuff they've replaced. I should gather my tickets and receipts.

The most recent history: a few months ago it refused to start, no click even, but (new) battery showing strong. So they took the tractor in for a couple of weeks, and thought they'd fixed it. Dropped it off then it wouldn't start again. They took it back, kept it another few weeks, replaced the main motor clutch (again), said they were calling in a priest for an exorcism ( :) ). They finally replaced entire electrical system, and dropped it off like a week ago. Now after a couple of hours of mowing, this backfiring.

Was hoping maybe this time it was just bad gas....not yet another major issue.

/ Bad gas? #9  
By the sound of things (history and present problems) it appears that you have a genuine HOYT-CLAGWELL tractor.

A rare make/model of tractor indeed.

:)