Husqvarna 155 Articulating Rider

/ Husqvarna 155 Articulating Rider #1  

yellowsocks93

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 990 MFWD and a few others
Hi everyone. Anyone have one of these Husky's? They have been around forever and my uncle used to work for Husky and remembers these things. I really like them. I'll buy one once I save up to 3 grand for it. The Kohler engine should last a while I guess but would prefer the older Kawasaki powered one but they still are sweet. Be nice for around trees and the price is cheaper than I thought. I would take one over a Deere rider. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Husqvarna 155 Articulating Rider #2  
I do not have one but I have mowed with them and repaired them. It's a nice idea but poorly executed in my opinion. They are hard to work on and covered in cheap plastic. Steering effort is considerably higher than a similar sized tractor. On the other hand they have a couple advantages over tractor style mowers. They have a 4" turning circle, flip up deck(huge benefit), and of course the front mounted deck allows mowing in low clearance areas. I looked very hard at one for my personal use and eventually decided on the Simplicity Lancer. It has a slightly larger turning radius (12") but other than that seems like a much better machine. No complicated cable steering system, ultra simple design, larger engine and deck, better parts availability (shares most parts with the tractor line), and a much prettier cut.

Another downside to both these units is their price. You can get several differant true ZTR units for only slightly more money. This is of course my opinion only, I am not a Husqvarna dealer or owner so I would encourage you to continue your search for owners of the 155 and talk to them about their experiance.

Slam

/ Husqvarna 155 Articulating Rider
Thanks guys!

Slamer,
I'll check out the Lancer. What kind of price range is it?

Did they break down a lot? I noticed Husky droped the Kawasaki powered one and left only the smaller one with 15.5 horse. Seems like it would work well for me mowing around 500 apple trees. I really need something other than my Deere GT 242 6 speed man. We only have one hydro a JD 320 but I never get to use it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Until I get this Husky. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Husqvarna 155 Articulating Rider #6  
The Lancer runs between $2900 and $3400 depending on your region and greed. But for your use I would instead recommend a full ZTR. The Gravely 2148 (21hp Kohler command - 48" deck) can be had for around $4000.

Slam

I don't like those ZTR's. I run many at the JD store I work for mowing and such and they are not as good for trimming as a front mower. I use a little JD F 525 at work to mow and really love it. Too bad they discontinued those or I would buy one. I emailed Husky to see if I can still order the Kawasaki powered rider but if not I guess I'll get the Husky with the Kohler next week. I had a JD with basically the same motor and it was ok. It was also 15 horse. I really like the Husky and I will more than likely get it in the next few weeks. I have been thinking about it for 4 years now and I love that design. It's the closest thing to the Deere these days that I like. The Lancer looks ok but I don't know if I trust the Briggs motor. The last briggs I had in a push mower did not last more than 2 years. I think Kohler is in the middle and Kawasaki the best.

Slammer did you work for a Husky dealer? Thanks for your advice and thoughts on the Husky and Lancer though. It would be a first for me to get a non Deere product. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I can get a Deere LT 180 for about the same price but I don't like those a ton. Now they have gone down in quality some. Especially painting of the fender decks. The Husky can't be worse than Deeres for the cheap plastic.

/ Husqvarna 155 Articulating Rider #9  
Yellowsocks, I own a dealership. It's been in our family since the 60's. I don't carry Husqvarna but a friend of mine in Mayfield Ky. does. I hate to say it but he won't stock the 155. Too many problems. But then again you know how that goes, could have been a bad run, etc...

I am kinda surprised to hear of your dislike of B&S engines. I have found them very reliable over the years. I have many in service now with 15-20 years on them and sell em' everyday with little to no problems. Of course I take special pains with every new customer to stress preventive manitenance and that could be a factor. I firmly believe that if you will change your oil frequently, clean the airfilter after each mowing session, and keep the engines clean you will get great longevity out of them.

Then again when your number one as B&S is everybody is gonna be gunnin' for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slam

No, I do all maintenance but I have had great luck with our 1975 JD 214 with the Kohler motor and our 2 other JDs that have Kawasaki motors.

Slammer I must thank you for your input on this model. My uncle did not tell me anything about it so it was kind of interesting to learn about it. If JD still made their small front mounts like the F525 I would buy one of them but my next choice was the Husky.

Do you know of any specific problems they had or saw with them? Also what did you think of the quality of the steel deck? Good bad? You say the Lancer cuts better too?

I currently use a JD GT 242 and a 320 for trim mowing and the larger stuff gets left to the 990 and 970. The GT 242 has 14 horse single cylinder so I think the 15 horse should be good enough. If it breaks I can take it to my JD dealer I work for service as the same Kohler motors are in the JD lawn tractors we sell.