Husqvarna 262XP Professional

/ Husqvarna 262XP Professional #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
I picked up one of these saws today in like new condition with a 20 inch bar for $200.00. Just curious if anyone has one of these sawdust makers? I do say sawdust maker because it makes my 55 Rancher look like a toy. It is not much bigger in size and weight than my 55. The big difference is the motor has 4.8 HP and is air injected. It is also rated for a 32 inch bar. If anyone owns one of these, what's the largest bar you have run on your saw and how do you like it?

/ Husqvarna 262XP Professional #2  
I've been running one for about 15 years. It's a great saw with one of the best power to weight ratios of any saw out there. I ran an 18" bar for years, and just switched to a 20".

It uses the Husky "small mount" bars and I don't think you can readily get a 32" bar, and it would be too big anyway, I think. I think the longest the small mount bars come is 24", maybe 28". Regardless, that's pretty long for the saw.

One thing to watch out for is snap-back when you are starting the saw. It has very high compression and no compression release valve. Sometimes it won't quite start and snap back the pull handle. It hurts like ****. Grip the starter handle real firm and use strong, sharp pulls when starting.

You got yourself a tremendous saw.

/ Husqvarna 262XP Professional
Hayden, thanks for the info. I already found out about the snap-back as it ripped the pull start handle right out of my hand this afternoon when I went to start it. Good thing I had a glove on. It's nice to use a saw that does what it was made to do. I can bog down my 55 Rancher easily. This little saw just runs like a wild man with a fire under his backside. My local chain saw dealer did say the saw could accommodate a 32" bar. I ordered a 30 inch for it. I am happier than a pig in sh-t that I bought this saw.

/ Husqvarna 262XP Professional #4  
Wow, 30"? I'll be interested to hear how it works. Are you bucking and felling timber that large? The saw is indeed a hot rod, but a log that size will definitely give it a work out. I bought a 385XP to run a 28" bar, and the 385 has about 50% more HP than the 262.

/ Husqvarna 262XP Professional #5  
P.S. - I know what you're saying about the comparison to a 55. I also had a 50 Ranger (pretty much the same as the 55) for many years, and there's just no comparison at all.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Wow, 30"? I'll be interested to hear how it works. Are you bucking and felling timber that large? The saw is indeed a hot rod, but a log that size will definitely give it a work out. I bought a 385XP to run a 28" bar, and the 385 has about 50% more HP than the 262. )</font>

I'll let you know how the saw handles with the 30 inch bar on it. I'll have it sometime next week hopefully. I have about a dozen large 2 1/2- 3 foot trees to drop and cut up in the future. I have a McCulloch Pro Mac 650 with a 26 inch bar. But the saw is so dang heavy it tires you out when cutting in a horizontal position. The town is also removing a bunch of trees along the road and dropping them off for me to have. This saw will pay for itself right away. I never realized that there was such a big difference between the home owner and Pro saws. Had I known this years ago I would have spent the money and bought a Pro years ago.

/ Husqvarna 262XP Professional #7  
hey Jim,
good luck with the trees this year, I get wood from roadside regularly, good way to go.
i used a 262xp years ago in college when working for a logging company, i used it with a 28" bar. Good saw, I used to cut roots and stuff with it and would return to cutting logs without sharpening, lots of power.

A few years ago i bought a rancher 55. Good saw too, but I can bog this guy down pretty easily just cutting firewood. Here's a neat picture of a tree i took down with my 55.... Tremendous boom when the trunk fell....

-art
p.s. I'm looking for wood to buy, cord wood, let me know if you seen any! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 819035-cross_dway.jpg
    819035-cross_dway.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,409
   / Husqvarna 262XP Professional #8  
I bought a 385 XP last year but haven't used it much, YET. I'm going to slab some spruce with an Alaskan saw mill attached to it because I have a lot of full grown spruce on my property. I have a 36" bar on it with a rip chain and I also have a 55 Rancher.

Attachments

• 819228-chainsaws 10-05-05 004 (600 x 400).jpg
    819228-chainsaws 10-05-05 004 (600 x 400).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,531
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One more...........

http://users.adelphia.net/~gizmo/ )</font>

Now that's a bar for cutting down trees. I have the 55 Rancher also. It does the job but is easily bogged down. I hear the 455 is the same way but haven't tried one to really find out. I wish now that I didn't buy it. The 262XP is not much heavier and a lot more power and faster cutting. With a few different bar/chain setups it could be a very useful tool. I have a Sthil 210 for small stuff and few other saws in my stable for spares just in case.

Art, Nice Ash tree you got there. I have a ton of those babies on my property to cut down for firewood in the next 10 years or so. That tree will last you a few weeks of burning. Good luck finding wood. I hear it is scarce this year around here. People are advertising to cut down trees for free for the wood.