Husqvarna with Kohler Courage

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage #1  

jd2210

Silver Member
Tractor
2210 JD
I'm in the midst of purchasing a new lawn tractor and have narrowed it down to a John Deere 125 or a Husqvarna YTH20F42T. Both dealers I would consider friends of mine, both are with 3 miles of my house and their service would be comparable. The Deere has several advantages: resale(in this area anyway) cheaper to initially purchase ($200) it has a welded frame, and a couple of useless things like one more adjustment on deck height etc.
The Husky though has some advantages as well: electric PTO (which I'm a bit torn on, yeah it's easier but what is the $$$ if it goes?), much larger fuel tank, 10 gauge deck verses 12, better seat adjustment with what feels like a lot more travel, larger frame and a couple of "who cares" items.

I currently hold the opinion that a Kohler is better that a Briggs. I realize that is a sweeping statement to make based on the fact that each manufacturer makes many different models and sizes and has done so for many years. I also realize that the Briggs in the Deere is "built to John Deere standards" which to me is just another way of saying "built so you are forced to order your parts from Deere"

Now for the questions:
Am I wrong on the whole engine thing? Has anyone found the Kohler Courage series engine (this one is a 20HP) to be unrealiable in any way. Is their some achilies (sp?) heel or are they a solid engine? Is the "Deere speced" Briggs any better in any way shape or form that your average run of the mill Vanguard or Intek or whatever platform they build the engine off of?

What about Husky decks? I have 0 complaints about any deere deck I've used, and I know it's been their claim to fame, but have had no exposure to a Electrolux deck. Someone who is well know for his B.S.ing has tried to tell me their decks are MTD, but they don't look the same to me.

And lastly I was wondering if anyone has this model of either brand and was wondering about you initial thought on them (I realize they are both new models this year).

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage #2  
This past week end I purchased the Husqvarna, the exact model you are considering I believe (20 hp courage, 42" deck, elec pto). I seledted this over other models for the following reasons:

--Wanted the Kohler engine - after doing some research and talking to others who knew more than I did

--wanted the elec PTO - the lever just felt very awkward and my wife will also be using this a good bit (I have a 3410 Kubota to play with)

--I wanted the pedal hydro with elec pto and 42" deck and kohler engine, and this model had all of those together. Other models had some but not all of those things.

--the feel of the tractor felt very comfortable - the seat, the steering wheel, the hydro pedals. . . It felt much more comfortable then a number of other models I tried. (though I recall that the Deeres were also comfortable)

I don't know about the deere models, but did look at some with the V-twin.

Because it has been raining and grass still wet, I have not yet been able to use it. I have started it up to learn a bit about it. Seems louder than I expected, but I don't know how that compares to the others.

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage #3  
The Kohler Courage series is said to be the lower line of the Kohler engines and having said that I have a 15hp Kohler Courage on a ZTR.
The electric PTOs cost 150.00 - 300.00 on average.

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage #4  
I realize that most of the world thinks that the world revolves around Deere, especially up here, but I've been using and abusing a Husky YTH180 with the Kohler Magnum MV18S since 1986, and other than changing blades and not being able to order a new grill, I haven't had any problems. The electric clutch is probably the greatest invention since sliced bread. The blades were changed due to personal preference, and the grill is what happens when you lend out your equipment.

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage
beowulf, yeah that is the exact model. I have always found Kohlers to be quite loud, but also very reliable. Briggs (strictly speaking from my own experience) are much quieter but seem to be less that perfect. They also seem to be very touchy with regards to the quality of gas you put in them.

I also found the machine to be the most comfortable to operate.

I think I'm going to go with the Husky unless something changes.

One more question on this subject. Is the hour meter on the Husqvarna supposed to be on all the time? I noticed the one he has set up has the key out and yet the hour meter is on.

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage #7  
I just picked up a Husqvarna GTH2548 (2005 model) with a 25HP Kohler Command V-Twin...When I was looking at tractors I noticed alot of the new 2006's were coming out with Kohler Courage engines...I guess the difference is that the Courage is rated for 750 hours and the Command is 2000 hours...750 hours is probably good enough for small residential lawns but if you want to do larger properties, you will get more years out of the Kohler Command...You can still get great deals on these machines...The only down side to your needs is that the hydro is hand operated rather foot...

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage #8  
Are the Husqvarna's still made by AYP? Maybe not all models?

My neighbor bought one last year (23-25 hp Kohler, 48 in deck???) that's identical to my Craftsman GT3000 (that IS made by AYP)... I told him he would have deck clogging problems like I've had since day one...he laughed until a month later when he was scraping stuff out of his.

/ Husqvarna with Kohler Courage #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are the Husqvarna's still made by AYP? Maybe not all models?

)</font>
Yes, they are. Sears doesn't sell just AYP-made machines, so that might be the cause of your confusion.

For example, the Sears ZTR is a previous-generation design made for them by Simplicity... it is based on the previous-model Simplicity sold. The new design Simplicity machines are based on designs of Ferris commercial mowers which they also own...

Ended up going Husky with the courage. The hours shouldn't be a problem, I won't put more than 40hours a year on anyway. I can't see me having it 18 years from now.