Need help with IH 254 hydraulics

/ Need help with IH 254 hydraulics #1  

Shredder

Tractor
1982 IH 254 Compact
I'm new to tractors. I've had this one several yrs but am not very familiar with working on it.

The 3ph hydraulics on my compact 254 suddenly stopped working. The 3ph is the only hydraulics on the tractor; no add-ons. It's pretty much just a shredding machine.

A couple of weeks ago I changed the hy-tran fluid because I had water in it from a badly cracked shifter boot. I was not quite able to drain it completely so there was still some water in the fluid. Last week I shredded for about 8 hrs without a problem. I parked it for a week and was going to drain the hy-tran fluid again today. When I went to move the tractor the 3ph hydraulics would not work; completely unresponsive. I didn't see any leaks. I check the trans level, and it was within the operating range. The linkage seems to be intact. I have never worked on hydraulics but am willing to give it a go.

Where should I look at first? Any help appreciated.

Norm

/ Need help with IH 254 hydraulics #2  
Welcome to TBN. Sorry to hear of your problems. Might try the YT (Yesterday's Tractors) website, they deal with older equipment/tractors, and they have an IH forum. Those guys should be able to help. I am not familiar with your particular unit. Strange how we try to do preventive maintenance on a machine that works fine, and when we get done, it won't work/move/operate like it did before. Good luck.

/ Need help with IH 254 hydraulics
Thanks. Lady Luck and I are pretty much strangers lately:( My tractor, a rebadged Mitsubishi, is a 1982 model. At 25 yrs it didn't seem old in comparison.....but maybe the "old tractors home" (i.e. YT website) is the place I should go.

/ Need help with IH 254 hydraulics #4  
Norm, I have an '83 Mitsubishi MTE 2000D which is the grey version of your tractor. My 3 point quit functioning several years ago and it was caused by a roll pin that had worked itself out of the rockshaft that passes through the top of the 3 point hydraulic housing. The pin is located on the right side and is in the end of the shaft by the top lift arm of the 3 point. The pin holds the position control sensing rod. The rod runs to the lift control and is part of its linkage system. Unless the pin is loose and sticking out it is hard to see. I originally found this to be the problem by looking under the seat and you will be able to see the rod I am referring to, it is threaded with a spring on the end. With the tractor running, try using a screw driver or short pry bar and where the rod passes through that part of the control, move the control back and forth and see if the 3 point functions. You will probably need to have the 3 point lift control in the "up" position. If the 3 point works by doing this it is either the pin or the linkage is out of adjustment.

The 3 point on a larger Mitsubishi I owned quit suddenly and I found that the hydraulic control valve for the 3 point had a tiny piece of RTV sealant in one of the orifices inside. It was a pain to figure that one out but it saved buying a $900 valve.
You can find some of the schematics for your tractor at :
Case IH
Click on "parts and service" then click on "Begin your search for Parts right here", then enter the model number (254).
Hope this helps.

Darryl

Last edited:
   / Need help with IH 254 hydraulics
Thought I would post the solution to my problem in case there are other IH 254 owners out there.

I couldn't get any pressure to register on my guage, even though there was pressure in the high pressure line. So I disassembled the entire hydraulic system. I took the pump off and removed the hitch cover to access the control and "drop speed" valves. I found nothing wrong with any hydraulic part. However, I did find a bit of rust in the control valve (images below). Very similar to the solution that you had Kernopelli:eek: Thanks for that heads up:) The rust was not part of the control valve, it was just lodged in there. It apparently came from a rusted hole in the high pressure line that I had repaired via weld. That was about a week, and 8 hrs of shredding, before the malfunction. It was very easy for the rust bits to get into the control valve because that is very near where the high pressure line comes into the hitch cover. If anyone ever needs other photos of this tractor, especially the hydraulic system, they can reply to this thread or email me at penthor_mul at yahoo dot com. It may take me a couple days to find the mail but I'll be glad to forward the images.

Attachments

• DSC02246.JPG
    DSC02246.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 630
  • DSC02222.JPG
    DSC02222.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 470
   / Need help with IH 254 hydraulics #6  
Shredder said:
Thought I would post the solution to my problem in case there are other IH 254 owners out there.

I couldn't get any pressure to register on my guage, even though there was pressure in the high pressure line. So I disassembled the entire hydraulic system. I took the pump off and removed the hitch cover to access the control and "drop speed" valves. I found nothing wrong with any hydraulic part. However, I did find a bit of rust in the control valve (images below). Very similar to the solution that you had Kernopelli:eek: Thanks for that heads up:) The rust was not part of the control valve, it was just lodged in there. It apparently came from a rusted hole in the high pressure line that I had repaired via weld. That was about a week, and 8 hrs of shredding, before the malfunction. It was very easy for the rust bits to get into the control valve because that is very near where the high pressure line comes into the hitch cover. If anyone ever needs other photos of this tractor, especially the hydraulic system, they can reply to this thread or email me at penthor_mul at yahoo dot com. It may take me a couple days to find the mail but I'll be glad to forward the images.

Glad you've got it figured out, sometimes the smallest things can make for a BIG hassle. I'm glad it wasn't a bigger (read EXPENSIVE) problem. On the plus, side there is no better feeling than having a problem that you start off not even knowing where to begin and digging in with both hands and getting it fixed.