hydraulic valve rebuild

/ hydraulic valve rebuild #1  

hermit

Tractor
JD 4300
Has anyone out there had any experience rebuilding hydraulic control valves? I've got a leaky valve on a stabilizer cylinder that needs a seal kit. Are there special tricks or techniques to working on one of these? I would like to attempt this myself first before I have to haul it into the dealer and pay them $50+ per hour to work on it. Thanks.

/ hydraulic valve rebuild #2  
I used to rebuild my own on my Case 580 C. What do you have?

/ hydraulic valve rebuild #3  
If you have a "leaky" valve on a stabilizer cyl......is it leaking externally (dripping on floor) or leaking internally (not holding load/bypassing)

If it's leaking externally then go for it, carefully strip it down, clean all parts and inspect for pitting on spools (not good), then reseal using clean #2 grease and reassemble carefully

the problem with trying to "reseal" a valve with wear problems internally is the seals will not cure the bypassing.......the spools are close fitting to the housing bores and are not fixable with just a reseal........best to replace that section of control valve

Best to mark all hoses and cap them, and remove the valve to do any repairs, don't try it on the machine.....it just makes more work

And, oh yea, a good pressure wash before you remove it will be a godsend......:thumbsup:

/ hydraulic valve rebuild #4  
Ditto what wdchyd stated as external seals is all that can be replaced. If bypassing internally then complete valve section needs replaced.