New log splitter woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / New log splitter woes. #1  

copperhead1967

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota BX22, Cub ZForce S 48 inch deck
I just purchased a 3PH mounted log splitter, when I hooked it up to my BX22 it loads the rest of the hydro system down. I put in fluid, bled the lines by cycling the loader, 3PH and finally the splitter cylinder. The first time it moved at a moderate pace. Now it crawls at a snails pace. The FEL control valve makes a whining sound and the FEL functions erraticly. The 3PH won't move up . I took off the splitter lines and hooked the tractor back into itself. Everything worked great. I have 1/4 inch hoses on my tractor and the splitter is plumbed with 1/2 inch lines. I picked up a handful of fitting and bushing with the help of the guy at the local shop got everything together. Could a bad quick connect be the problem? It seems like a flow problem in the splitter. The splitter is rated at the flow rate for my tractor. Any ides where to start?

/ New log splitter woes. #2  
Where on the tractor are you plugging it in. Rear remote? Loader SCV? How many lines go to the loader 2 or 3?

/ New log splitter woes.
The splitter is designed to connect to the BH plumbing on the BX22. Here's the link of the unit I purchased. I have the smaller unit which is in the first picture. Mines orange of course.
It seems to be built well

Ramsplitter Log Splitter Model 3PT Attachment, the Toughest Log Splitter on the Market

The splitter is within specs for my tractor. The IN line is marked on the 4 way. I tried switching my connections which made the unit work "backwards".
I wonder if there could be a blockage in the line from a bad coupler or debris from manufacturing process?
How does changing the size of the fittings affect the hydro? Pressure would be the same but it would affect the flow, correct?

/ New log splitter woes. #4  
Sounds like a restriction in the circuit, causing the FEL valve safety to relieve and denying fluid to the 3PH. Could be a QC or debris/restriction in the line. If your fittings are compatible, you could start by removing just a length of hose from the splitter, such as the supply line that already has a QC on it. Place the other QC on the other end of the hose and connect them into your backhoe loop to check the QC function/flow and that one hose. Also make sure all the QC's are clean with no debris so they are seated fully. See how this works to start.

If everything works OK with the single hose loop, I would probably call the manufacturer of the splitter to see how they reccomend to proceed since you have eliminated the QC's and one of their hoses as the problem, leaving the problem somewhere else on the splitter and a possible warranty issue...

/ New log splitter woes. #5  
   / New log splitter woes. #6  
I think the the BH port you are talking about is a standard rear remote. If that is the case there is lever that must be held open. Is there a valve handle at the rear remote? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.