Hydraulic Top Link

/ Hydraulic Top Link #101  
I was thinking about ordering a cylinder from Surplus Center to make a hydraulic top-link too. I was looking at the one with the 2" bore and the 10" stroke. I should probably consider the 2-1/2" though, as my tractor is a JD 4320. The problem that I'm having is figuring out what hoses and fittings I need. Can anyone help me out? Should I get 3/8's? I have no clue when it comes to hoses....JIC, NMTP, all foreign to me.

Thanks

/ Hydraulic Top Link #102  
Zinno87 said:
I was thinking about ordering a cylinder from Surplus Center to make a hydraulic top-link too. I was looking at the one with the 2" bore and the 10" stroke. I should probably consider the 2-1/2" though, as my tractor is a JD 4320. The problem that I'm having is figuring out what hoses and fittings I need. Can anyone help me out? Should I get 3/8's? I have no clue when it comes to hoses....JIC, NMTP, all foreign to me.

Thanks
I went with 3/8" hoses. Remember to measure your top link retracted all the way and completely extended. That will tell you what cylinder you can get. Is your tractor top link cat I or cat II? Measure the outside of the eyelets in your top link. Measure the distance on your tractor where the top link goes. Write all these measurements down and then decide which cylinder to get. I went with a cylinder that has swivel ball eyelets at both ends. Surplus center has a tech line that you can call and they will be able to tell you which fitting you'll need. You'll have to decided which length hoses you will need.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #103  
You won't find a cylinder that is short enough when retracted AND long enough when extended to match the range of your turnbuckle top-link.
I doubt you want more than 18 inches retracted, so get the longest cylinder you can that is 18 inches or so when retracted, probably a 10 inch stroke.
I think this is more important than the extended length, which you could always add to with some sort of hack-up for a special need.

/ Hydraulic Top Link #104  
I bought the 21"-32" cylinder from CCM and it's a good match for the adjustable link I had been using. It's within 1".