72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #11  
I don't know if anybody out there is still looking at this thread but maybe this post will revive it. I have na early 70's Ford 2000 tractor that has developed a hydraulic leak in the pressure line. I know this thread is regarding the nut on the pressure line at the pump but my leak is coming out of the inner or smaller nut where the pressure line meets the housing under the right footrest. In looking at the New Holland website parts store (hydraulic pump assembly, diagram attached), the number on the diagram that is leaking for me is #72. Part #70 is the whole assembly--large nut, O-ring, and small nut. I was wondering if anybody would know if it is necessary to replace the whole assembly (part #70) or can I replace just part #72? Further, is part #71 (O-ring) used on the smaller #72 nut or just on the larger nut?

I can do basic mechanical things but am by no means a mechanic. Will it be difficult to replace the nut? Supposing it's the little or inner nut, is it just a matter of unscrewing part #72, starting the new part, inserting the pressure line, and fully tightening?

Sorry about all the questions, I would just like to replace the right part instead of replacing things with a shotgun mindset.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Can you remove this line with out loosing lots of oil? If yes try removing this line to see if the line itself has cracked. I am not familiar with this model Ford but from the pictures it almost looks like an inverted flare type fitting that is common on brake lines. Depending on vibration and installation stress these can crack over time. Look very closely at where the flare joins the straight unflared portion of tube. Also look closely at the flare itself. A small hairline fracture can be hard to see but will leak under pressure.

good luck

Roy

Can you remove this line with out loosing lots of oil?

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #12  
Thanks for your response, Roy. I will hopefully get a chance to do some work on the tractor tomorrow during the afternoon when it's still daylight. I will post back once I have some more information.

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #13  
I'm by no means a seasoned tractor guy but I would recommend cleaning the leaking area to see if the leak is between the two nuts or between the small nut and preassure hose. The New Holland rep should be able to confirm this but, I don't think the large nut will need replacing if there isn't a leak at any of its contact points (between it and smaller nut or, it and casing). Maybe Tractor Guy or one of the other veterans will provide some feedback. Good luck!

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #14  
Looks to me to be a flare type, while the larger nut is an o-ring type. While you have it apart, I suggest replacing the o-ring, and the smaller nut looks like a common part that my local napa has a drawer full. The flare on the line is what you are going to have to buy a special tool for, a "flaring tool", and it's probably a double flare. Mine does up to 1/2" lines. You'll be able to tell if it's a double flare by the metal being rolled back into the "bell". It's a pretty simple task if you follow the directions that come with the tool. The only part to replace that I can see so far is the o-ring, and your parts store will have those on hand.

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #15  
Alright, so I was able to take the smaller nut off this afternoon and see what the assembly looked like. I will have to say I was kind of a bit surprised at all the little parts in there. In response to an earlier post, I know the leak was coming from in between the smaller nut and the larger nut, so I didn't mess with the large nut. When I unscrewed the small nut and pulled the pressure line out, a clear plastic washer was against the inner portion of the larger nut, then there was a pretty thick rubber washer and a round piece of metal. Once I pulled out the pressure tube, I observed what was similar to a metal washer on the end of the pressure line, almost giving it a flared type of appearance while not actually being flared. This piece of metal moves about a 1/16"forwards and backwards but doesn't actually slide off the end of the tube. I tried to remove it by prying it off with pliers but to no avail. I don't know if I should try forcing the thing off or trying to cut it with some wire cutters. It does not appear the tube is flared in any way. Does anybody have any idea of this assembly of parts would be included in the small nut assembly (part #72 from the diagram above)?

I will have to post pics tomorrow. I don't have the usb cable for my phone tonight.

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #16  
I thought I would revive this thread as it was very helpful in the repair of my old 3000. Similar to the OP the pressure line on the pump blew out while hauling bales on a 3pt fork. Over the years it had also developed a leak at the other end of the line where it attached to the transmission housing - so I decided to replace the o-rings on the larger line as well as the nuts w/farrel nuts on both ends of the pressure line. It was a pretty straight forward repair after reading everyone's input on this thread as well as removing the floor board on the passenger side for easier access. Thanks for insight and the old girl no longer leaks any oil when using the 3pt hitch even when it's -30F and lifting 1500lbs hay bales!!!

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #17  
Here's what I was going by -
C7NNH856C NUT Nut Assy., Pressure Tube, Pump End, Start Year: 10/01/1969

D6NNM922A NUT Nut, Pump Pressure Tube, Years: 10/01/1969-12/31/1974

To all you Ford owners, in case you don't know, partsbooks are on line at

Parts and Service

then click parts and service
then look up parts

I just bought the C7NNH856C kit, but once I had installed it, the pipe blew out again :-( I was surpised there was no O-ring with the kit, so I fitted a 20mm O-ring on the collar of the nut (as it looks like there is supposed to be a o-ring there). Maybe this was dumb? Did the O-ring prevent the nut from going all the way in and fixing the brass rings and pipe tight?

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #18  
The pressure line at pump kept blowing off on my 3000, so I took the line off., on the other end there was the nut then like a lock ring then the rubber compression fitting. The lock ring was missing on the end that blows out. where can I get the lock ring

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #19  
Schiker

Thanks, this is the same problem I'm having. Pictures were great

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #20  
the 70 i just did had a different set up. are you leaking at the o-ring or the small compression nut?