72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #1  

schiker

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 3000, 1972 LCG, JD 5603
1972 Ford 3000 industrial tractor....

My 3pt hitch quit lifting and I thought it was just low on fluid but as soon as I got off the tractor I realized it blew the line off the pump and pumped out all the fluid.
So I tried to just take the connection apart and reseat it but it did not help it blew again once I added fluid. So do I just replace the compression bushing or what? Is there suppose to be any ferrel at the end of the tube?

What is the name of this part and is there any other info needed to get it at the parts counter other than descpription compression fitting at pump pressure line.....?
Also the threads are a little buggered on the nut do they sell it seperate?

How else do you fix this replace the whole line?

Attachments

• tractor.JPG
    tractor.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 23,558
  • hyd-pump.JPG
    hyd-pump.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 23,159
  • pressure-line.JPG
    pressure-line.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 16,400
  • compression-fitting.JPG
    compression-fitting.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 9,772
   / 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #2  
You used to get the nut and seal as a set, but it's been many years since I've bought one. They weren't cheap, but you have no choice. They should know what your talking about but the number should be -
D6NNM922A NUT Nut, Pump Pressure Tube, Years: 10/01/1969-12/31/1974

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #3  
I am not sure but it might be one of those fittings where the bushing is slid up the pipe and then the pipe is flared. I think it's called an internal flare or something like that. I have not seen one in a long time. I think you have to buy the pipe with the fittings on it. The pipe has to be really straight when it goes in the hole or the flare will not seat right even if the threaded part is cranked down tight. then it gets bent and well.... There might even be a double flare like on steel brake lines .

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics
Thanks guys. I have been googling trying to find a picture and or any internet parts house that has a picture or diagram of part number D6NNM922 but no luck yet.

I intuitively think there would be a flare or ferrel of some kind on the end of the metal pressue line to keep it from slipping back out of the compression fitting. I can't tell if the tube was broken off or not. There appears to be a seat of some kind in the socket on the pump I can feel with my fingers but can't see it and guess its to help squeeze down the bushing. A flare would hold the line and the the bushing would seal it I guess. It sure did not take long for it to pop out after I put it back on and tried to lift cutter.

Any tricks to installing a whole new line clean the area first then start each end to gets threads engaged and tighten up as straight as possible maybe a little at each end until tight.

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #5  
I think the number has been changed. My book shows the part number for the Compression Nut Assembly as C7NNH856C. I think the last one of these I bought was about $35.00.

The end of the tube don't have any kind of flare on it. It is just a straight tube on the end. The compression nut has a metal clip in it that locks on to the tube when you tighten it down. When this metal clip fails (most last many years), there is nothing to hold the line in the pump so it blows out under pressure. The rubber insert is just a seal. It can't hold the pressure on its own.

When you replace the compression nut, make sure all of the pieces of the old one are out of the pump and keep all of the pieces of the new nut in the order they come. Slip the new nut over the line and make sure that the line goes all the way into the pump before tightening the nut. You will probably have to hold the line tight in the pump while you tighten the nut. This is a one time use nut. Once the metal clip is compressed on the line, it can't be removed and re-used.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Thanks that brought back a couple of hits on google. I'll try and get one and post back fix next week when I can. If I can pick one up locally today I'll try and squeeze it in the schedule or its mail order and wait. Wife won't like me working on my stuff on the holiday weekend. She wants me to work on her honey doo list FIRST!

Here is one google hit for example

Ford Tractor Parts Page

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #7  
Here's what I was going by -
C7NNH856C NUT Nut Assy., Pressure Tube, Pump End, Start Year: 10/01/1969

D6NNM922A NUT Nut, Pump Pressure Tube, Years: 10/01/1969-12/31/1974

To all you Ford owners, in case you don't know, partsbooks are on line at

Parts and Service

then click parts and service
then look up parts

Ok I'll check out that website.

I picked up a compression nut assembly at a local NewHolland dealer and they gave me the second part number and it worked.

Its a tough connection to get straight. I cross threaded the nut slightly the first time when I put it on the tube first. I had to take it back out. Only 1/2 a thread was damaged so I played with it until I could start it straight. I had to start the nut and run it in until I felt the rubber and metal rings were not going to cock over and bind on the tube then slip the tube in and push it in all the way. Then I tightened it up and everything is working correctly. It took a while for the pump to prime itself and purge air? boy was I glad to see it start lifting the 3pt hitch finally.
The love is back baby. A little degreasing and Ole blue was happy to be mowing again.

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #9  
Hey fellas,
The posting - especially the pictures - were a great help in fixing my hydraulic leak. The nut was $36 including tax, installation was fairly simple as you all have described. Thanks!
Eric

/ 72 Ford 3000 hydraulic pump compression fitting? w/ pics #10  
I don't know if anybody out there is still looking at this thread but maybe this post will revive it. I have na early 70's Ford 2000 tractor that has developed a hydraulic leak in the pressure line. I know this thread is regarding the nut on the pressure line at the pump but my leak is coming out of the inner or smaller nut where the pressure line meets the housing under the right footrest. In looking at the New Holland website parts store (hydraulic pump assembly, diagram attached), the number on the diagram that is leaking for me is #72. Part #70 is the whole assembly--large nut, O-ring, and small nut. I was wondering if anybody would know if it is necessary to replace the whole assembly (part #70) or can I replace just part #72? Further, is part #71 (O-ring) used on the smaller #72 nut or just on the larger nut?

I can do basic mechanical things but am by no means a mechanic. Will it be difficult to replace the nut? Supposing it's the little or inner nut, is it just a matter of unscrewing part #72, starting the new part, inserting the pressure line, and fully tightening?

Sorry about all the questions, I would just like to replace the right part instead of replacing things with a shotgun mindset.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Attachments

• 001NHNA-14562.gif
    001NHNA-14562.gif
    83.1 KB · Views: 24,480