Replacing O-rings

/ Replacing O-rings #1  

jba3520

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3520
I'm in the process of installing a diverter valve on my JD 3520 and the instructions call for me to replace the O-rings on the adapters going into the control valve. This tractor has less than 50 hours on it and I'm wondering if I really need to replace them? Are they saying to replace them because I have had to disassemble it? ... just a good idea?... or what? Will my hydraulics leak prematurely if I reuse the O-rings?

/ Replacing O-rings #2  
Reguardless of the specific reason.. ( like a crush/deforem issue ).

How much do the new orings cost, vs the time it will take you to take it apart and fix if they start leaking later?

Soundguy

/ Replacing O-rings #3  
I work with high vacuum chambers in which there are many O-rings. I always change O-rings any time they are removed. The cost of an O-ring vs. the trouble of a leak is small.

When you install new O-rings make sure all the surfaces it contacts are clean and put a little vasoline or hydraulic oil on the ring before reassemble. A dry O-ring could get cut or twisted upon reassembly.

You'll feel better about changing the O-rings when the jobs done and there are no leaks.

Randy