Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520

Default Replacing O-rings

I'm in the process of installing a diverter valve on my JD 3520 and the instructions call for me to replace the O-rings on the adapters going into the control valve. This tractor has less than 50 hours on it and I'm wondering if I really need to replace them? Are they saying to replace them because I have had to disassemble it? ... just a good idea?... or what? Will my hydraulics leak prematurely if I reuse the O-rings?

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Replacing O-rings

Reguardless of the specific reason.. ( like a crush/deforem issue ).

How much do the new orings cost, vs the time it will take you to take it apart and fix if they start leaking later?

Soundguy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

Default Re: Replacing O-rings

I work with high vacuum chambers in which there are many O-rings. I always change O-rings any time they are removed. The cost of an O-ring vs. the trouble of a leak is small.

When you install new O-rings make sure all the surfaces it contacts are clean and put a little vasoline or hydraulic oil on the ring before reassemble. A dry O-ring could get cut or twisted upon reassembly.

You'll feel better about changing the O-rings when the jobs done and there are no leaks.

Randy