Hydraulic piston info

/ Hydraulic piston info #1  

ScottAR

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd
I've got an outrigger cylinder apart on the Case 580D to replace seals and as of yet I haven't taken the bolt off the end as..... well I can't get it out yet. My question is the bolt left hand thread or just on there really tight? I've got some pb blaster working it's magic now so I'll try again tomorrow.

I plan to snap some pics to post of the innards so folks can see what a hydraulic cylinder has in it. Taking it apart has been both really simple and really hard at the same time.

Not complicated, just everything is heavy and hard to turn. And so life is.

/ Hydraulic piston info #2  
You will find out it is tight and they must be that way or they will work loose also it is probley locktighted a little heat on the head should help

/ Hydraulic piston info #3  
Get yourself a good 3/4" breaker bar, a good vise mounted to a heavy workbench, and a stand for the piston end of the cylinder. I've got no less than 6 cylinders apart in my shop right now. Lock the opposite end of the rod in your vise, very tightly, place some kind of stand under the piston end, and bounce on the breaker bar. Don't put the stand under the chrome, put a rag on it and put it under the piston. I have a couple of stands from an old bench press weightlifting set and they work great. Heat the piston seal in a bowl of water to about 140 degrees to make things easier, depending on how it goes on. When working on cylinders, patience is the key. Good luck.

/ Hydraulic piston info #4  
Scott, think 450-550 ft-lb of torque on the nut. PB blaster isn't going to help, after all it lives in oil.

Breaker bar, 5' extension - hang from the bar with it under your armpit then whack the bar with a 5# hand maul. The shock works the nut loose.

A 3/4 impact will do the deed if you have one.

jb

/ Hydraulic piston info #5  
I use a 3/4 impact wrech to take them apart. They are very tight and usualy have loctite on them.

Of the ones I've done, all have have regular threads. I've never seen one with reverse threads, but don't know for sure if that's true for all of them. I don't know why it would have reverse threads, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it that I know of.

One thing you might try to do is find a cylinder repair shop. I have both a Case and New Holland tractor that I've rebuilt half the cylinders on, and will probably rebuild the other half in time. My dealer sells kits to rebuild the cylinders that include all sorts of extras that you don't need. They have also started to upgrade there pistons and require new ones to fit there rebuild kits. Even if the old piston is in perfect condition, and they usually are, they make you buy a new piston. Some are as much as $200 each!!!!

Luckily I've made friends with the guy at the parts counter and he told me about a local guy who they use when they need help with a cylinder. He sells just the parts you need, and has the seals for older pistons that the dealer no longer carries.

A rebuild kit costs around $40 to $60, plus if you have buy a new piston, that can run from $100 to $200 each. He sells the seals for $5 to $25 to rebuild the entire cylinder!!!!!!! His price per seal is more then the dealer, but since you only buy exactly what you need, it's much, much cheaper.

It's well worth your time to find a rebuild shop if you have one in your area. Ask your parts guy, or talk to the mechanics at the dealer, and see if they will tell you who they use when they have to send out a cylinder. The dealer never does it all, and for just about everything, they have contacts that will do it for them.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Hydraulic piston info
Thanks for all the replies!
I figured it was just really tight.
I didn't think it was reverse thread and I couldn't think of a reason for it to be
but I've found that I don't think like an engineer so I thought I would ask.

I'm going to get a bigger cheater tomorrow when I have time to work on it again. If that doesnt' work, We have some 3/4" impact wrenches for sale at my job that I've had my eye on for awhile now. ;)

/ Hydraulic piston info
6ft cheater. Sit on it and hit with 4lb. hammer. Broke it loose.
Thanks again all. When it quits raining, I'll get'er back together.