Need help configuring/ordering hydraulics

/ Need help configuring/ordering hydraulics #1  

bill333

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3540
I am going to get a Kubota L3240 or L3540. I want to add the following options/implements:

-- FEL
-- TNT
-- rear blade
-- maybe a front blade for snow plowing (especially if I can get a QA). I do not want a blower.
--maybe a post hole digger

I want as much (preferably 100%) of all the hydraulics/valves/remotes installed by the dealer while I壇 love to learn about it sometime, I must confess that after hours and hours of reading the posts here I still don稚 understand the entire hydraulic thing. And while I have great respect for all of those that do their own options add ons, I have so little time that the amount of money that might be saved is not enough to justify figuring everything out.

So here are my questions, which I realize apply mostly to Kubotas, but most are general hydraulic issues for the 'hydraulic challenged' (me):

Is the 禅hird Function Valve option (L2225) for the Grand L series what I need to run a grapple? If so, do I need anything else, or does this include some kind of switch/button for the loader control joystick?

I assume I need 2 rear remotes for a Top-N-Tilt kit?

Should I get double acting or FD Float detent for the rear remotes?? Am I correct in assuming that a float will help me plow snow/grade with the rear blade?

Do Kubota hydraulics come with check valves? If not do I need them, and how should I order them?

thanks for any input.

/ Need help configuring/ordering hydraulics #2  
Well, no one seems to be chiming in so I'll take a swing.

Yes, the third function valve option is what you need to run a grapple, 4in1, etc.. Check with you dealer, but if you order this option, it should come ready to work, i.e. you'll need nothing else, but there may be several parts that have to be ordered and added. Just make sure your dealer knows you want it ready to go to work.

As far as your rear scvs go, yes you need 2, but can you get DA and a float detent? That's what I would want. I have 3 rear scvs, each DA, and each can individually be set to either detent open (to run a hydraulic motor or other circuit), detent float, or detent auto return to center.

I don't know what effect your choice would have on a rear blade, as your 3pt lift arms will float anyway.

You shouldn't need any check valves, but I'm not familiar at all with Kubota, but I ma going to look those two models up and see if I have any other suggestions for you :)

/ Need help configuring/ordering hydraulics #3  
Since you are looking for a specific model Kubota tractor, I would say most of These questions are for a dealer when you talk options on a specific model you are interested in. I will take a run at a few of them though.

bill333 said:
Is the third Function Valve option (L2225) for the Grand L series what I need to run a grapple? If so, do I need anything else, or does this include some kind of switch/button for the loader control joystick?.

I would say that if hey put on a third function valve, they would put on a way to control it. The way it is done, may also be optional, switch on joystick, panel switch, foot switch, ect. ask a dealer.

bill333 said:
I assume I need 2 rear remotes for a Top-N-Tilt kit?.

It depends. if you are just running a top and tilt cylinder with the rear remotes, then yes, you will need one rear remote for each function. If you install a standalone 2 function top n tilt valve, then this dual function valve could be fed with a single rear remote.

bill333 said:
Should I get double acting or FD Float detent for the rear remotes?? Am I correct in assuming that a float will help me plow snow/grade with the rear blade?.

Well the 3PH lift mechanism will already be able to float. Float detents on the rear remotes might add this mobility/flexibility to a top and tilt cylinder to allow the rear blade to more easilly follow contours. I don't think I have ever had to plow snow off of uneven terrain though, only parking lots and driveways:)

bill333 said:
Do Kubota hydraulics come with check valves? If not do I need them, and how should I order them?
Check valves? We don't need no stinking check valves...

By the strictest definition, a check valve only allows flow in one direction and are not very often used on tractor hydraulics as most all tractor circuits(and many other circuits for that matter) have flow in both directions. Now that being said, a form of check valve IS used in most control valves, called a load check. They help prevent uncommanded movement of a suspended load, like a loader lift arm or bucket control. IF you are holding a heavy load with a loader and try and lift it higher, the load check prevents any fluid from flowing back out of the loader as the valve opens, untill the pressure on the pump side of the valve is greater than the pressure on the cylinder side created by the weight of the suspended load. so when you pull the lever to go up, it only goes up:) These checks are integral to the control valve and come with it. I wouldn't think it would be an option you would even be able to select.

Take a road trip, find a big Bota dealership and tell them the two models you are interested in and what options you are interested in Then discuss potential uses and how to accomplish them with available options. If they want to sell a tractor, they will patiently answer all your questions... If you are learning, it helps to do this at some different dealers to see how the same questions are answered the same or differently.

Good Luck