plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow

/ plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
If I have an electric HD source (12v double acting) that would normally be used for a dump bed, how could I plumb the HD cylinders (with additional solenoid valves) to rig up a control for the plow? If I use the normal up/down controller, can I use the valve below to switch between the swing and lift circuits?

Surplus Center Item Detail

Is there a better way to do this? Since I already have the dump pump, I don't want to have to buy either a Meyer or Western lift.

/ plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow #2  
You should be fine using that manually operated selector you linked.

/ plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow
Kenny-

Correct me if I am wrong, but the web link valve actually has 6 ports right? (I guessed this but I could not tell from the picture)

1 supply
1 return

2 "switched" supplies (to the circuit)
2 "switched" returns (from the circuit)

/ plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow #4  
Yes, 6 ports.

Thanks ... While I have your attention, have you ever heard of using a power steering pump as a HD pump? I was talking to someone about my original question and they recommended using a steering pump. Any thoughts?

/ plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow #6  
Well, , That is what a power steering pump is-a hydraulic pump. I know that some Fisher Plows use the PS pump to operate their plows, so no electric pump is needed...

What are you trying to do? Knowing that may help me help you;)

Well, I can use the 12v pump to both raise the dump body and run the plow rams (I am laying this out .... it is not built yet), but the high amps required to run the pump may be a drawback. If I were to either use the existing PS pump or plumb another one to run the dump and the plow, would that work out better?

I am looking to transform an old Ford Ranger into a light duty dump plow to move a couple of hundred yards of dirt around 4 acres.

/ plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow #8  
It would certainly be better to run the pump from the engine, unless you can install a high amperage alternator with a dual battery setup. Those electric hydraulic pumps use a lot of energy!

I have not looked at the engine compartment ... I am wondering if I could simply "T" off of the existing lines given that all of my cylinders are double acting?

/ plumbing lift and swing for a snow plow #10  
I am not sure how to tap into the PS pump. You should try to look at how Fisher does theirs.