Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket?

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket? #1  

unioncreek

Tractor
1949 Farmall M
I bought an old Horn Draulic loader to go on my Farmall M, the loader just has a trip bucket. I want to add hydraulics tilt to replace the trip mechanism. Will one cylinder work or should I use two? It currently has the original bucket on it which is about 40 inches wide, but I plan on building a wider one for snow in the future and would like to be set up for that.

Any help appreciated.

Bobg

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket? #2  
Sounds like one DA (Dual Acting) cylinder would work fine for that. Do you have an extra remote to operate it?

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket?
Kenny,

Right now I'm just operating off of the Lift-all pump, which has just one lever and is just one-way. I have a valve setup off of an old loader that has three valves, but am going to only use two right now and make the tilt double acting. What size in diameter cylinder would I need? I think I have one at home that is about 3 inches.

Bobg

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket? #4  
I'm thinking a 2"-2.5" bore with a 1"-1.5" piston would be plenty, But that just a guess without seeing any pictures...It doesn't sound like this is the powerhouse of loaders:D

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket? #5  
I know about what that loader looks like and if it were me I would put 1 cylinder on so that you do not exceed the abilities of the loader with two cylinders AND a larger bucket.
I would not recommend a large bucket at all on that tractor because those front ends are not very heavy duty. Is your M a tricycle or wide front? If it is a trike I defenitely would not go with a wider bucket for stability reasons, those trikes with a loader flip sideways very easily.

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket? #6  
I converted an old Freeman trip bucket loader for my misubishi. Not familiar with the Horndraulic but I used two cylinders on mine. I considered using one cylinder and and am certain it would have worked just as well. The deciding factor was that I found a matched pair of cylinders on Ebay for $38.00 and couldn't pass it up. pic of my loader here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...r-questions-how-much-too-resized_img_5828.jpg I agree with Birdhunter though that if it is a tricycle I wouldn't go any wider on the bucket.

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket?
My Farmall has a wide frontend on it. I wouldn't consider a wider bucket with a tricycle front.

Darryl,

Did you build the bucket on your loader? What thickness plate is it made of?

Thanks for all the info.

Bobg

/ Cylinder for tilting FEL bucket? #8  
Yes, I built the bucket, I used 1/4" plate for everything and first built a basic bucket. I then welded 3 strips of 1/4" x4" that were spread across the bottom of the bucket from the cutting edge to the back of the bucket. I used a piece of 5/16"x4" for my cutting edge. The entire back of the bucket (where it attaches to the loader arms) I doubled up the 1/4" plate. I was not sure what I actually needed to use and simply ended up using what I was able to get and was worried the bucket would be too light duty but so far it is far more sturdy than what I need for general purpose. There is a more detailed thread about my loader here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/105128-loader-questions-how-much-too.html I recently finished painting my loader but I am planning on taking it off again this winter and reworking the arms to get the bucket closer to the front axle and get the loader a little lighter in general.