Hydraulic return line question.

/ Hydraulic return line question. #1  

gemini5362

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana 4940C
I have a trailer that is made from an old dump truck. I had to replace the hoses on it and I have a question. The pressure side is 1/2 hose. The other side of the valve going back to the tank is 1 inch. I went to a place to get the 3 foot hose and it was going to be 65.00. I could probably get it cheaper somewhere else but I can get a 3ft 1/2 hose for 14.00 and then 4.00 for adapter fittings. Why do they use a 1 inch line on the return to tank. The speed that the dump bed lowers is going to be limited to the amount of fluid that goes through the 1/2 inch pressure hose back to the valve. Is there any reason that I cannot replace the 1 inch hose with a 1/2 inch hose ?

/ Hydraulic return line question. #2  
I presume the bed is raised by a single acting cylinder.

I would imagine they used one inch hose to insure a fast drop with an empty bed. The input side is under pressure from the pump. The output is powered by nothing more than the weight of the bed. A one inch hose would offer only about a quarter as much resistance to flow at the 1/2 inch.

I would try the 1/2 inch and see what happens.

/ Hydraulic return line question.
That is what I am going to do. Probably this weekend. I have the hose i just havae to do some work and then put it on. I understand the less pressure on the hose and allowing the bed to come down faster because of more volume. The thing I dont understand is will it come down faster. The volume is limited to the amount going through the half inch hose. So a bigger hose on the other side of the valve is just going to allow it to leave the valve faster but it cannot get out of the valve any faster than it gets into it from the 1/2 inch hose. And yes it is a single acting cylinder and the resevoir is actually inside the outer casing for the cylinder.

/ Hydraulic return line question. #4  
The 1" hose is the suction hose for the pump you will starve the pump by putting a small hose on it all hydralic systems are set up that way so you don't ruin the pump.

/ Hydraulic return line question. #5  
Thomas,
Have you ever used the Parker store by Grainger on 265 in Springdale?

Dirthog said:
The 1" hose is the suction hose for the pump you will starve the pump by putting a small hose on it all hydralic systems are set up that way so you don't ruin the pump.
I did not think about it that way. that makes sense thank you.

JerryG said:
Thomas,
Have you ever used the Parker store by Grainger on 265 in Springdale?

No I have not. There are some places in fort smith that can make it. I was in a hurry the other night and went to O reillys to see about getting one they were the ones that wanted 65.00 The local tractor store did not have fitting that big.

Did you go and have barbecue with george bush
?

/ Hydraulic return line question. #8  
DO NOT use 1/2" hose for that! Suction line should be at least 1.5 times the pump outlet line size. As a general rule, I like to go 2 times the pressure line for suction and 1.5 times for a return line. So, a 1/2" pressure line should have a 1" suction line and a 3/4" return line. If they wanted 65 bucks for a 3' piece of 1" suction, go somewhere else. That's way too much.

/ Hydraulic return line question. #9  
gemini5362 said:
Did you go and have barbecue with george bush?

HaHa I hate the traffic when the President comes to town. When Clinton was President we lived about two blocks from the Arkansas Razorback football stadium. He went to several games. What a mess.

/ Hydraulic return line question. #10  
Wayne County Hose said:
DO NOT use 1/2" hose for that! Suction line should be at least 1.5 times the pump outlet line size. As a general rule, I like to go 2 times the pressure line for suction and 1.5 times for a return line. So, a 1/2" pressure line should have a 1" suction line and a 3/4" return line. If they wanted 65 bucks for a 3' piece of 1" suction, go somewhere else. That's way too much.
I wonder if the quote he got was for a 1" pressure line instead of a 1" suction line.