JD 48 hoe fluid leaking through a weld

/ JD 48 hoe fluid leaking through a weld #1  

qhorin

I have a JD 48 backhoe with only about 15 hrs on it(although its 1 3/4 years old and yesterday I see its leaking oil from one of the cylinders. Its actually bleeding right through a weld ,right below one of the hydraulic connections. Kind of pisses me off cause its a one year warrantie,the hoe is barely used,that is faulty workmanship, and my local dealer who hasnt seen it yet sais they will just replace the whole thing and not even try to fix it(I know that would cost a bundle). My question is, can i take it off and just reweld that area? ANy suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone feel like phoning and offering advise cell is 732 539 1768 RUSSELL

/ JD 48 hoe fluid leaking through a weld #2  
I wouldn't just weld it. I've seen these leak for different reasons. The only way to do it and be sure it will last is to remove the cylinder, disassemble it and make sure the internals are okay, then weld it and assemble it. I personally know a guy that tried to weld a cylinder without removal or disassembly. He got his face and arms burned when the fluid came out under pressure and became a 1500 p.s.i. blow torch.

Did the dealer say that they will replace it and charge you? When I worked for a dealer, we would replace these under warranty. They didn't want us playing with a cylinder, cheaper to replace it than take a chance. If they want to charge you, I would contact JD.

/ JD 48 hoe fluid leaking through a weld #3  
I would push that up the chain if it truly is a bad weld and hope that JD would stand behind that low hour of a product.

I had a cylinder go bad on a shredder at work that we had owned a couple years, but just put into service a month or two before. The company stood behind it when I talked at length with the tech department.

That said, if they will not stand up and do what is right, I am a firm believer in taking things apart at the start and welding them up "right" once, then to try and cob something on a couple times to get it too stick.

/ JD 48 hoe fluid leaking through a weld #4  
I personally would not take it all apart. I would disconnect the hose and protect the inside and threads, clean it well, and then I would just weld it up. If you can get air in that side of the cyl and the piston away from the weld area, heat it a bit with a torch will burn the oil out of the crack. grind out the crack, heat it again and weld it. Should work, if the dealer will not honor poor workmanship.

Mike

/ JD 48 hoe fluid leaking through a weld
thank you for the responses. Im going to take it to the dealer and have him verify what it is and then im going to call John Deere directly and try to get it warrantied . Im dam glad i didnt just take a welder to it and burn myself up !!!!! But if JD wont warrantie it Ill check some other alternatives to fixing it. Thank you !!!!!!!