Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Bx-23

Default should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose

Ok My first hyd project is to adapt rear blade to a power angle setup. I have a 3 spool block running off BH con on bx-23. Have quik con on power/ return lines and twisted first cly hose in and second. I tried seting last hose and wrenching in but doesn't turn. Do I need pipe wrench on ferrule and wrench on fitting to attach? Didn't want to bugger up hose first time or do I need to find something along the line of a pipe union fitting. As you can tell I know next to nothing about HYD. Hoses are premade from TSC and small locall farm supply but none seem to turn. What am I doing wrong?

Thanx Pat R

It costs a lot to feed a dinosaur.
    Never trust a computer you can pick up.

Tractor
    JD110 RF, JD110 SF, JD208, Yanmar YM2210D

Default Re: should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose

A pipe wrench may be a little extreme but yes - you may need to hold the ferrule as you tighten the fitting. Pump pliers (Channel Locks) may do as well. As you tighten the fitting it snugs up against the hose causing it to spin or twist.
    YM2210D, THD Loader, KK 6' Back Blade
    65 JD 110RF, 73 JD 110SF, 78 JD 208, JD Integral Hitch, JD 43 Blade, Brinly PP510 Sleeve Hitch Plow
    63 Farmall Cub, 54A blade, Flail mower

Tractor
    JD110 RF, JD110 SF, JD208, Yanmar YM2210D

I'm assuming that you have swivel fittings on your hose of course!!
    YM2210D, THD Loader, KK 6' Back Blade
    65 JD 110RF, 73 JD 110SF, 78 JD 208, JD Integral Hitch, JD 43 Blade, Brinly PP510 Sleeve Hitch Plow
    63 Farmall Cub, 54A blade, Flail mower

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

I bet those hoses do not have swivel's on them. You will probably need a swivel adapter on at least one end.
    Take a look at these from the SurplusCenter
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

Okay, first you want to know what you are doing wrong. Rather than just solve this problem for you, I will solve all of your hose problems for you.
    Next time, go to a hose and hydraulic shop. Explain to them in full detail what you are doing. They will stop you when they have all the info they need. They will then sell you the parts you need to do the job right the first time. The people at TSC and farm supply stores know as much about fittings as I know about horse feed.

Please don't think I'm being too harsh. Rather than give you a fish, I'll show you how to catch your own. Best thing you can do if you would like to learn this, is get a hose and fitting catalog from any supply house or download one. There is so much good info in there, you may never have to ask another fitting question again.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Tractor
    JD 5225, JD 555B

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne County Hose
    Okay, first you want to know what you are doing wrong. Rather than just solve this problem for you, I will solve all of your hose problems for you.
    Next time, go to a hose and hydraulic shop. Explain to them in full detail what you are doing. They will stop you when they have all the info they need. They will then sell you the parts you need to do the job right the first time.
    While this will work, be prepared that they will also charge you for this knowledge and your otherwise $25 hose assembly will cost you $90. A little legwork now will save you $$ in the future. Getting a hose and fitting catalog is a great idea...

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Bx-23

Thanx to all. I will get swivel fittings Guess my ends are the non swivel kind
    Also will get something better than Northeran Tool/Hyd catalog this weekend.

Yeah I had inquired about having hyd shop make but they wanted $4 foot $3.5 per fitting and $6 build charge. Got a premade for $11 from local farm supply vs $33 for 5' assm

Thanx again

Pat R

It costs a lot to feed a dinosaur.
    Never trust a computer you can pick up.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

Quote Originally Posted by bjcsc
    While this will work, be prepared that they will also charge you for this knowledge and your otherwise $25 hose assembly will cost you $90. A little legwork now will save you $$ in the future. Getting a hose and fitting catalog is a great idea...
    I think this is a bit of an exaggeration.

But, can you put a price on your time and aggravation? This guy already went to a farm supply and TSC. Now he has to go somewhere and buy more stuff to make it work. Now the $25 hose assembly is $125 in additional parts, time, and not even counting his aggravation. So, he would have been $35 ahead going to one place and getting it right the first time.

You can put a price on a hose and a fitting. Knowledge is priceless.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

Quote Originally Posted by kennyd
    I bet those hoses do not have swivel's on them. You will probably need a swivel adapter on at least one end.
    Take a look at these from the SurplusCenter
    I'll bet you're right.
    They usually come with one fixed and one swivel end. I've bought a lot of hoses from them.
    Put the fixed end on first.
    Rob-
    ...The Older I get...the Better I Used to be...
    Member of the Month

Tractor
    JD 5225, JD 555B

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne County Hose
    I think this is a bit of an exaggeration.

But, can you put a price on your time and aggravation? This guy already went to a farm supply and TSC. Now he has to go somewhere and buy more stuff to make it work. Now the $25 hose assembly is $125 in additional parts, time, and not even counting his aggravation. So, he would have been $35 ahead going to one place and getting it right the first time.

You can put a price on a hose and a fitting. Knowledge is priceless.
    It may be a bit of an exaggeration in PA, but it's spot on around here. I needed two lengths of 12' 1/2" two-wire 3500PSI hose with 1/2"MPT ends for my logsplitter. Local hydraulic shop quoted me ~$90-$100 each. I'm curious what your price would be??

Instead, I went to Northern Tool and bought them for $23.99 each. But, I suppose to be fair, the actual cost including tax was $25.80...

You really get into some money (around here anyway) if you get swivel fittings...

And while I'll stipulate that knowledge is priceless, I like gaining it for myself vs. paying for it. It's part of the fun for me (learning new stuff)...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast