should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #1  

Stargazer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota Bx-23
Ok My first hyd project is to adapt rear blade to a power angle setup. I have a 3 spool block running off BH con on bx-23. Have quik con on power/ return lines and twisted first cly hose in and second. I tried seting last hose and wrenching in but doesn't turn. Do I need pipe wrench on ferrule and wrench on fitting to attach? Didn't want to bugger up hose first time or do I need to find something along the line of a pipe union fitting. As you can tell I know next to nothing about HYD. Hoses are premade from TSC and small locall farm supply but none seem to turn. What am I doing wrong?

Thanx Pat R

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #2  
A pipe wrench may be a little extreme but yes - you may need to hold the ferrule as you tighten the fitting. Pump pliers (Channel Locks) may do as well. As you tighten the fitting it snugs up against the hose causing it to spin or twist.

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #3  
I'm assuming that you have swivel fittings on your hose of course!!

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #4  
I bet those hoses do not have swivel's on them. You will probably need a swivel adapter on at least one end.
Take a look at these from the SurplusCenter

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #5  
Okay, first you want to know what you are doing wrong. Rather than just solve this problem for you, I will solve all of your hose problems for you.
Next time, go to a hose and hydraulic shop. Explain to them in full detail what you are doing. They will stop you when they have all the info they need. They will then sell you the parts you need to do the job right the first time. The people at TSC and farm supply stores know as much about fittings as I know about horse feed.

Please don't think I'm being too harsh. Rather than give you a fish, I'll show you how to catch your own. Best thing you can do if you would like to learn this, is get a hose and fitting catalog from any supply house or download one. There is so much good info in there, you may never have to ask another fitting question again.

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #6  
Wayne County Hose said:
Okay, first you want to know what you are doing wrong. Rather than just solve this problem for you, I will solve all of your hose problems for you.
Next time, go to a hose and hydraulic shop. Explain to them in full detail what you are doing. They will stop you when they have all the info they need. They will then sell you the parts you need to do the job right the first time.

While this will work, be prepared that they will also charge you for this knowledge and your otherwise $25 hose assembly will cost you $90. A little legwork now will save you $$ in the future. Getting a hose and fitting catalog is a great idea...

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose
Thanx to all. I will get swivel fittings Guess my ends are the non swivel kind
Also will get something better than Northeran Tool/Hyd catalog this weekend.

Yeah I had inquired about having hyd shop make but they wanted $4 foot $3.5 per fitting and $6 build charge. Got a premade for $11 from local farm supply vs $33 for 5' assm

Thanx again

Pat R

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #8  
bjcsc said:
While this will work, be prepared that they will also charge you for this knowledge and your otherwise $25 hose assembly will cost you $90. A little legwork now will save you $$ in the future. Getting a hose and fitting catalog is a great idea...

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration.

But, can you put a price on your time and aggravation? This guy already went to a farm supply and TSC. Now he has to go somewhere and buy more stuff to make it work. Now the $25 hose assembly is $125 in additional parts, time, and not even counting his aggravation. So, he would have been $35 ahead going to one place and getting it right the first time.

You can put a price on a hose and a fitting. Knowledge is priceless.

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #9  
kennyd said:
I bet those hoses do not have swivel's on them. You will probably need a swivel adapter on at least one end.
Take a look at these from the SurplusCenter
I'll bet you're right.
They usually come with one fixed and one swivel end. I've bought a lot of hoses from them.
Put the fixed end on first.

/ should hose fitting spin on 3/8 hose #10  
Wayne County Hose said:
I think this is a bit of an exaggeration.

But, can you put a price on your time and aggravation? This guy already went to a farm supply and TSC. Now he has to go somewhere and buy more stuff to make it work. Now the $25 hose assembly is $125 in additional parts, time, and not even counting his aggravation. So, he would have been $35 ahead going to one place and getting it right the first time.

You can put a price on a hose and a fitting. Knowledge is priceless.

It may be a bit of an exaggeration in PA, but it's spot on around here. I needed two lengths of 12' 1/2" two-wire 3500PSI hose with 1/2"MPT ends for my logsplitter. Local hydraulic shop quoted me ~$90-$100 each. I'm curious what your price would be??

Instead, I went to Northern Tool and bought them for $23.99 each. But, I suppose to be fair, the actual cost including tax was $25.80...;)

You really get into some money (around here anyway) if you get swivel fittings...

And while I'll stipulate that knowledge is priceless, I like gaining it for myself vs. paying for it. It's part of the fun for me (learning new stuff)...