Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default bent hydraulic lines...what now?

i bent two of the four metal hydraulic lines on the front of my loader. those pesky limbs. lines do not leak at the moment but one is fairly mangeled.

anyhow have been told that OEM lines are costly and could be substituted with hoses for much less money.

what say you guys?

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Default Re: bent hydraulic lines...what now?

Without knowing what machine you have, it's hard to give you great advice, but if it was me, I would want to fix it back the way it was. The hoses, unless fitted perfectly, will more prone to catching things than the steel lines.
    Last edited by kennyd; 12-27-2007 at 04:00 PM.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

Same here, OEM but thats just me.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana 4940C

Those should just be stainless steel lines. I might try to find me someone that can run them for me and it might be cheaper than OEM.

Tractor
    Deere 755

OEM hard lines for my loader look to be about $115 each and there's four of them. They are not stainless- I think galvanized but only a thin plate because they are rusting.
    Jerry

JD 755 w/70 loader, 60" MMM, Brush Bandit chipper, Woods RB60 blade, 48" KKII tiller, 8 hp tow behind Giant Vac
    Gator HPX 4x4 Gas,Cat 303c CR mini-ex

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Lightbulb Re: bent hydraulic lines...what now?

I would go along with the other replies and fabricate some kind of cover for them and be very careful next time due to the cost of replacing them and just call it as a lesson well learned. Not what you want to hear but the truth
    Think about this all of us.. we all learn the hard way
    Jim
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

If you can find the steel line and some proper fittings you may just be able to cut out and replace the bent sections.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    '05 Kubota BX1830

Stop and ask your local (small) excavator. They will be able to tell you what local shop can make rigid hydraulic lines.
    '05 Kubota 1830
    HST, FEL, 54" MMM, Canopy,
    Scraper blade, Box blade, Pallet Forks for 3pt,
    Boom, 7' front mount snow blade,
    14" Bottom plow, Rototiller

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

Steel lines are used for 2 reasons. First, is that for the factory, steel lines are cheaper than hose. Second is that hoses will expand and contract with pressure fluctuations, making your hydraulics feel "squishy" for lack of a better term. Stay away from stainless lines as stainless tube is very difficult to work with. Find a good hydraulic shop and they should be able to make your steel lines a little cheaper than factory, depending on what the factory charges. Are the lines crimped closed? If not, and if the hydraulics still have good speed and don't leak, just leave them on. If you try to bend them back to shape, they may rupture. You can bend them a little, but not much. You could replace them with hoses and probably never notice the difference. Your steel lines may also have male ends on them that may have to be brazed or welded on. They also may have tabs welded on them for a hold-down. For what it's worth, here's what I would do. Check the price from the dealer. Check the price for having steel lines made, check hose price. Compare them, and then make a decision.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana 4940C

I dont work with hoses so I am just asking questions. Why do you feel stainless steel lines are harder to work with. they bend them in all kinds of shapes on cars. I have replaced brake lines on cars with stainless and it did not seem to be that hard. the lines on my loader are basically just 90 degre bends. It would seem to me that a proper bender and flaring tool should make it work but I am sure you have worked with them so I am just curious why stainless is harder and where I am wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast