Worth adding a rear remote?

/ Worth adding a rear remote? #1  

58-MF

I have a 65 Massey Ferguson with 3-point. Does anyone know details about adding a rear remote to this tractor? I have very cheaply (free) aquired two hydraulic cylinders, a rear blade, hydraulic dump wood trailer, and a 3-point wood splitter. I realize the tractor's hydraulics would probably be too slow to run the wood splitter. Anyone have a guess on how slow? Besides adding the rear remote to the tractor I would only need to buy a few hoses.

/ Worth adding a rear remote? #2  
It has been nearly 50 years, but I recall removing a cover plate on top of the transmission housing between the seat and the gear shift lever and bolting on a two handle valve with hose running back to quick disconnects behind the seat. Perhaps the cover plate exposed a standard subplate (DO-3 or DO-5). It was very easy to do and made a neat setup. You might find one in a tractor salvage yard.

We used the remotes to power two 2" (I think) cylinders that dumped the bin on a pull-behind peanut combine. They moved pretty slow, but log splitters don't need to move very fast for me. Anything is better than a maul, especially for sweet gum.

/ Worth adding a rear remote? #3  
58-MF said:
I have a 65 Massey Ferguson with 3-point. Does anyone know details about adding a rear remote to this tractor? I have very cheaply (free) aquired two hydraulic cylinders, a rear blade, hydraulic dump wood trailer, and a 3-point wood splitter. I realize the tractor's hydraulics would probably be too slow to run the wood splitter. Anyone have a guess on how slow? Besides adding the rear remote to the tractor I would only need to buy a few hoses.

I have a 1964 MF-135 diesel. Your MF-65 hydraulics setup is very similar to mine.

To add remote hydraulics to operate a one double-action hydraulic cylinder I plan to install a selector valve (aka diverter valve) on the lift cover of the hydraulic unit. This valve costs about $100 and is available from Yesterday's Tractors.

The attach point for the divertor valve is located on the right front part of the lift cover. Here's a photo showing the location and the valve itself

Yesterday's Tractors - Parts and Pieces

Be sure you check the ID number on the lift cover of your MF-65 to be sure that you buy the correct divertor valve.

You connect the input port of the divertor to the input of your spool valve and output to output.

The divertor valve has a 3-position lever. In one position the flow goes to the rear remotes. In the middle position the flow goes to the 3-point hitch. In the third position the flow goes to front mounted stuff like an FEL.

To use the remotes the POSITION quadrant control has to be pulled back so it's in the CONSTANT PUMPING setting and the DRAFT quadrant contol has to be pulled all the way back.

You need to mount your hydraulic control valve (spool valve) somewhere convenient to control the remote cylinder. This spool valve has to be an "open center" type. Finally you'll need some custom fit hydraulic hoses with quick disconnects.

TISCO makes a remote hydraulic kit for Massey Fergusons if you don't like to piece a system together yourself.

/ Worth adding a rear remote? #4  
Flusher's post makes it clearer what I "remember". The MF 65 had the diverter valve and single spool for the remote in a single valve block. One handle was the diverter and the other worked the remote. I can't recall whether the MF 65 required the same manipulation of the TPH position and draft control as Flusher's MF 135. Sounds like the TISCO kit is the way to go unless you can find the combined diverter/spool valve that I described. I can't imagine that they are available new, but they could be.

Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Worth adding a rear remote? #5  
Sams Tractors appears to have a single block diverter and valve kit.

store.telepak.net/samstractors/page34.html

It is not exactly what I remember, but it is close.

/ Worth adding a rear remote?
Sams Tractors diverter and valve kit seems to be what I'm looking for. I am going to check into it a little more. This is great information, thanks for the replies!

/ Worth adding a rear remote?
Still debating on this remote. Talked to a guy who thinks the hydraulic pump on a Massey 65 will be too slow to run just about anything. Is anyone familiar with the pump details (gpm) on a 65 or have experience with a similar old tractor?

/ Worth adding a rear remote? #8  
As a farm kid about 50 years ago we operated a post driver, dump grain wagon, peanut combine dump, and pull behind dirt pan (scraper) with MF 65 Diesels using remotes and I don't remember thinking they were slow. Of course I did not have much to compare their speed to, and as a teenager I wasn't in too much of a hurry.

The front end loader for the MF 65 used a PTO pump, so no doubt the flow from the internal pump was limited