Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    39
    Tractor
    04 Deere 4610 E-hydro

    Default Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    I have seen lots of people use standard pipe tees, elbows and nipples on log splitters but what about tractors. What kind of psi can black pipe handle.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,352
    Location
    Wayne County Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    Okay, I know that a lot of guys are going to write in and say that they use it with no issues, However, black iron pipe is rated for 350 psi. You might get some up to 500 psi. Now there is a 4:1 burst factor, so it will go to a minimum of 1400psi before it blows. It is very dirty inside and is a time bomb waiting for the minute hand to hit the right spot. If you look at an iron pipe fitting and a standard hydraulic fitting side by side, you will see the difference.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    6,595

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    The real steel fittings are not much more $. Don't be silly, do the right thing.

    jb

  4. #4
    Super Star Member Egon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    18,346
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    Put it on the pressure side of a hydraulic system and get prepared for a shower. It's not designed for high pressure application.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    39
    Tractor
    04 Deere 4610 E-hydro

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    Thanks for the info guys, thats kinda what I thought. I was thinking it was only rated for 150 psi .

  6. #6
    Platinum Member SkunkWerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    770
    Location
    Central Maryland
    Tractor
    BX2350

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne County Hose
    Okay, I know that a lot of guys are going to write in and say that they use it with no issues, However, black iron pipe is rated for 350 psi. You might get some up to 500 psi. Now there is a 4:1 burst factor, so it will go to a minimum of 1400psi before it blows. It is very dirty inside and is a time bomb waiting for the minute hand to hit the right spot. If you look at an iron pipe fitting and a standard hydraulic fitting side by side, you will see the difference.
    Wayne County is quite correct. And to add additional info, the seamed black pipe (and galv pipe) like you would find at Home Depot for gas and water is even less strong.
    I have heard ratings as low as 100 psi. Depends on the diameter, but the seam makes it quite suspect for anything other than it's intended purpose.

    I think JohnBud hit the nail on the head. Use the right stuff.
    Kubota BX2350, 60" MMM, FEL w/Grapple, bucket forks, 4' KK Tiller, 5' RGB, 5' Rake, Gauge wheels, 4' Cutter, Quick Hitch, 3Pt. TowBar, 3Pt. 35 Gal. Sprayer.

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,331
    Location
    VA
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
    Wayne County is quite correct. And to add additional info, the seamed black pipe (and galv pipe) like you would find at Home Depot for gas and water is even less strong.
    I have heard ratings as low as 100 psi. Depends on the diameter, but the seam makes it quite suspect for anything other than it's intended purpose.

    I think JohnBud hit the nail on the head. Use the right stuff.
    I tested a black pipe fitting. It popped at 7000psi. That could be regarded as safe, but not by me. What about the unavoidable abuse they would get in tractor use? Hyd fittings are stronger and more durable. Id guess their failure points are at least double in situations ideal for the black pipe. Factor in impact or bending and Id guess the real steel fittings would win out 5 to 1.
    larry

  8. #8
    Platinum Member Bill Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    671
    Location
    midwest
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130, Satoh G650, Case 580, Case 446

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    NO NO NO did I say NO

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Kernopelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,766
    Location
    Carterville, Illinois
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne County Hose
    Okay, I know that a lot of guys are going to write in and say that they use it with no issues,
    Hey, I've used black pipe all my life. My Daddy used to carve his hydraulic fittings from wood and his Daddy used hog casings for hydraulic hose. we hardly killed anyone ( percentage wise...probably less that 25% of users- most of them shiftless cousins so they don't matter anyway!) I say a dollar saved is a dollar earned! ....but seriously, I couldn't resist temptation while waiting for some ordered parts when putting my FEL together and tried using two, 3/8" elbows. My experience is that 2000psi and black pipe makes for a 50% chance to;

    A: make a mess,

    B: kill grass

    C: Buy 5 gallons of hyd. fluid.
    Darryl

  10. #10
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,352
    Location
    Wayne County Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45

    Default Re: Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernopelli
    Hey, I've used black pipe all my life. My Daddy used to carve his hydraulic fittings from wood and his Daddy used hog casings for hydraulic hose. we hardly killed anyone ( percentage wise...probably less that 25% of users- most of them shiftless cousins so they don't matter anyway!) I say a dollar saved is a dollar earned! ....but seriously, I couldn't resist temptation while waiting for some ordered parts when putting my FEL together and tried using two, 3/8" elbows. My experience is that 2000psi and black pipe makes for a 50% chance to;

    A: make a mess,

    B: kill grass

    C: Buy 5 gallons of hyd. fluid.


    OMG! I was beginning to think I was the only one around here with a sense of humor. Lighten up people, laugh a little.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply.
    Willing is not enough, you must do.
    Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.