Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #1  

nightrodjc

Tractor
04 Deere 4610 E-hydro
I have seen lots of people use standard pipe tees, elbows and nipples on log splitters but what about tractors. What kind of psi can black pipe handle.

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #2  
Okay, I know that a lot of guys are going to write in and say that they use it with no issues, However, black iron pipe is rated for 350 psi. You might get some up to 500 psi. Now there is a 4:1 burst factor, so it will go to a minimum of 1400psi before it blows. It is very dirty inside and is a time bomb waiting for the minute hand to hit the right spot. If you look at an iron pipe fitting and a standard hydraulic fitting side by side, you will see the difference.

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #3  
The real steel fittings are not much more $. Don't be silly, do the right thing.

jb

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #4  
Put it on the pressure side of a hydraulic system and get prepared for a shower.:( :( :( It's not designed for high pressure application.:D

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ?
Thanks for the info guys, thats kinda what I thought. I was thinking it was only rated for 150 psi :eek: .

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #6  
Wayne County Hose said:
Okay, I know that a lot of guys are going to write in and say that they use it with no issues, However, black iron pipe is rated for 350 psi. You might get some up to 500 psi. Now there is a 4:1 burst factor, so it will go to a minimum of 1400psi before it blows. It is very dirty inside and is a time bomb waiting for the minute hand to hit the right spot. If you look at an iron pipe fitting and a standard hydraulic fitting side by side, you will see the difference.

Wayne County is quite correct. And to add additional info, the seamed black pipe (and galv pipe) like you would find at Home Depot for gas and water is even less strong.
I have heard ratings as low as 100 psi. Depends on the diameter, but the seam makes it quite suspect for anything other than it's intended purpose.

I think JohnBud hit the nail on the head. Use the right stuff.

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #7  
SkunkWerX said:
Wayne County is quite correct. And to add additional info, the seamed black pipe (and galv pipe) like you would find at Home Depot for gas and water is even less strong.
I have heard ratings as low as 100 psi. Depends on the diameter, but the seam makes it quite suspect for anything other than it's intended purpose.

I think JohnBud hit the nail on the head. Use the right stuff.
I tested a black pipe fitting. It popped at 7000psi. That could be regarded as safe, but not by me. What about the unavoidable abuse they would get in tractor use? Hyd fittings are stronger and more durable. Id guess their failure points are at least double in situations ideal for the black pipe. Factor in impact or bending and Id guess the real steel fittings would win out 5 to 1.
larry

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #8  
NO NO NO did I say NO

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #9  
Wayne County Hose said:
Okay, I know that a lot of guys are going to write in and say that they use it with no issues,
Hey, I've used black pipe all my life. My Daddy used to carve his hydraulic fittings from wood and his Daddy used hog casings for hydraulic hose. we hardly killed anyone ( percentage wise...probably less that 25% of users- most of them shiftless cousins so they don't matter anyway!) I say a dollar saved is a dollar earned!;) ....but seriously, I couldn't resist temptation while waiting for some ordered parts when putting my FEL together and tried using two, 3/8" elbows. My experience is that 2000psi and black pipe makes for a 50% chance to;

A: make a mess,

B: kill grass

C: Buy 5 gallons of hyd. fluid.

/ Anyone use black pipe on their tractors ? #10  
Kernopelli said:
Hey, I've used black pipe all my life. My Daddy used to carve his hydraulic fittings from wood and his Daddy used hog casings for hydraulic hose. we hardly killed anyone ( percentage wise...probably less that 25% of users- most of them shiftless cousins so they don't matter anyway!) I say a dollar saved is a dollar earned!;) ....but seriously, I couldn't resist temptation while waiting for some ordered parts when putting my FEL together and tried using two, 3/8" elbows. My experience is that 2000psi and black pipe makes for a 50% chance to;

A: make a mess,

B: kill grass

C: Buy 5 gallons of hyd. fluid.

OMG! I was beginning to think I was the only one around here with a sense of humor. Lighten up people, laugh a little.