Hydraulic pump help

/ Hydraulic pump help #1  

wedge40

Veteran Member
I have a pto pump that I bought from ebay. No info provided, and no real marking on the pump. I need to figure out which in the input side and which is the output/pressure side.
What would be the best way to go about this?
The pump will run CCW and I thought about hooking a drill up to it, run the drill in reverse. Place oil in both hole as best as possible then run the drill. The hole that the oil spills out of is the pressure side?

Wedge

/ Hydraulic pump help #2  
Well if it can fit on a PTO, why don't you put it on a PTO and hook up 2 hoses to the ports, each run into a container half full of hydro fluid. Engage teh PTO, and whichever one empties, that is the suction line, and whichever fills, well that is the output:) You may have to put a little fluid in the pump so it will prime...

/ Hydraulic pump help #3  
Wedge,

Gear pumps carry the fluid around the outside of the gears. The flow is NOT through the middle between the gears as so many seem to think. If you can see the gears (well even if not) then you will be able to tell which direction oil will flow or be able to figure it out. If you are still unsure, do what Ron suggested. Low RPM is highly recommended.

Mike

/ Hydraulic pump help #4  
I've done exactly what Ron says about using buckets.
I used a drill motor to run my pump to see if it worked or not.

/ Hydraulic pump help
I figured it out the simple way. Placed a thumb over a hole and rotated the shaft CCW (it goes on the PTO and turns CW. RIGHT?:confused: ) From that I got the right direction of flow. I still might use the bucket method to double check before the final hook up to the BH.

Thanks.

Wedge

/ Hydraulic pump help #6  
wedge40 said:
I figured it out the simple way. Placed a thumb over a hole and rotated the shaft CCW (it goes on the PTO and turns CW. RIGHT?:confused: )

That works and yes PTO is CW and looking at the pump which connects to the PTO CCW is correct.

Good to go.

Mike