4630 Ford

/ 4630 Ford #1  

detel

Tractor
Farm Pro 2430
I have a '93 Ford 4630 dsl., 2 wheel dr. that I was bushhoggen with and it felt like I somehow hiit the lever and shut the pto off because the mower started slowing down. I check the lever and it was still in gear so I went to raise the bushhog to take it to the barn but none of the hydraulics work. I check th fluid and it was low so I brought it back to full but still nothing. The pto shaft turns real slow but there is no engaging it with the lever. Any ideas of what or where I might look for the problem? Is there some kind of Knock off switch for the pto to shut down if you hit something? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

/ 4630 Ford #2  
My guess is you broke the shaft running through the transmssion that drives the PTO and rear hydraulic pump. Best way to check is to pull the pump from the rear axle center section and see if the pump drive gear will turn with the engine off. This failure is probably in the front end of the shaft and will require a double split (completely removing the transmission from the tractor. Alternatively, the rivets fastening the drive splines for the hyd pump and PTO to the clutch pressure plate have failed. This failure only requires a front (clutch housing) split.

/ 4630 Ford
Thanks RickB for the info. If I have to split the cases, I will attempt to try it own my own. I will also document it with photo's so if some one else needs to do the same thing I will be able to supply them with some input. I appreciate belonging to this site as I believe it is very beneficial to those of us that sometimes can't afford to have our equipment worked on by a mechanic.

Michael