FEL and my Massey 165

/ FEL and my Massey 165 #1  

MReeb

Bronze Member
Tractor
1972 Massey Ferguson 165
I'm new to the site as of today, so hello from Southern Ontario. So far from what I've read in some of the forums this site is a vast amount of knowledge and know-how. I have a question about my new to me Massey 165 and adding a front end loader.
The tractor comes with an add-on two double acting valve pack that sits between the seat and the shifters. To make the 3 point hitch work I need to have the valve handles screwed back to "raise" position. If I add a front end loader to my tractor do I just connect the pump side of the loaders valve to the existing "raise" hose of the valve and tie the tank side of the loaders valve to the "lower" hose of the valve? I would need to keep the valve handles screwed back to the "raise" position to create flow.
Would I be able to use my 3 point hitch while using the FEL? Is there a better way for me to be connecting the FEL?
Regards,
Martin
BTW, I've been looking at loaders for the 165 and I think I'm settled on the Koyker 220. Is this one a good choice or should I be looking for something else?

/ FEL and my Massey 165 #2  
IMO the best solution on the 100 Massey series is to find a front pump arrangement and leave the 3pth hydraulics for other things. You got the basic idea of that diverter valve though. Go to the Massey forum and you will probably be told (and rightly so) to look up Big Deans website and order his CD. His Cd has all the explanation of the hydraulics and their operation you will probably ever need.
regards

/ FEL and my Massey 165
Mounting a hydraulic pump off of the front of the tractor is in the works but for the short term (could be years :) ) I was going to use the tractor hydraulics.
I sent off an email to Big Dean about his CD but read on another site that he having health problems and hasn't been responding to emails as of late.

Last edited:
   / FEL and my Massey 165 #4  
It will probably get your fel going.. but I don't think your 3pt will work like that.. it all depends on how the diverter block handles the flow from that valve pack. Farmwithjunk will probably be able to tell you.. he has MF's.. I'm a ford guy.. and while some systems are similar.. there is plenty enough differences in how they handle ASC valves....

soundguy

/ FEL and my Massey 165 #5  
There were a bunch of different valves under the seat on the 100 series and they all work a little differently. As I remember it Big Deans CD covers at least three. Most I have seen bolt on top of the tranny just under the seat and replace a cover that is there if you did not get the valve option. It will work for the loader but don't expect speed! Just me but I think you might be further ahead looking around for a beater 100 series machine with a front pump driven loader from Massey or Allied. You can probably buy the whole outfit for the price of the Koyker and get the pump, mounts etc (plus other spare parts. I am pretty sure loaders for the 100 series can be migrated up or down the series. If you have trouble getting to Big Dean, PM me a picture and I will see if your valve is on the CD and how it operates and check some loader numbers for you if you want

/ FEL and my Massey 165 #6  
Big dean's been sick lately.. I hear he's not returning email very much.

soundguy