What is best way to clean up cylinder shaft?

/ What is best way to clean up cylinder shaft? #1  

IXLR8

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK-40SE
When I bought my used tractor w/BH, I looked very carefully for any sign that the shafts on the cylinders might be nicked or marred up, I saw nothing. Now that the BH has sat since January, I notice rust on the shaft and oil draining down out of the cylinder. :( It is for the BH stabilizers, so I don't consider it a must change out, but I would like to clean up the shafts to minimize any further damage to the seals. I assume that since the shafts are now rusting.. the only way to properly fix that is to change them. But I figured there might be a recommended way to clean up the shafts so they don't do any more damage until I can replace them. I was planning on taking 600 grit, or finer, wet/dry sand paper to them to clean up the rust... is there a better way??

TIA

/ What is best way to clean up cylinder shaft? #2  
Tim,

Don't fret over it. Depending on the seal type, they may leak under low pressure. Most seals are designed to seal under high pressure and do a poor job of low pressure sealing. There are seals you can buy that are "loaded." They have an energizer ring inside the U part of the seal to improve low pressure sealing.

As for the rust, get a roll of 240 grit emory cloth, the stuff made for metal. Tear off about 2' of it. Put some oil on the rod, grab both ends of the cloth, and pull back and forth across the rusty area. Always, and I mean always go around the rod and not up and down it. You want the kind of action like you used to see the shoe shine boys use in the old movies. You do about 180 degrees of the rod at a time. Don't stay in one spot, move around a little and take your time. You'll get the feel for it. As for feeling the rod for imperfections, I like to grab the rod with my thumb and index finger and slowly slide up and down. You don't even have to be looking at it, just stare off into space. Let your senses concentrate on feel. Small indents are okay, large ones or protusions are bad. Either will tear up a seal.

Good luck, Andy.

/ What is best way to clean up cylinder shaft? #3  
IXLR8 said:
When I bought my used tractor w/BH, I looked very carefully for any sign that the shafts on the cylinders might be nicked or marred up, I saw nothing. Now that the BH has sat since January, I notice rust on the shaft and oil draining down out of the cylinder. :( It is for the BH stabilizers, so I don't consider it a must change out, but I would like to clean up the shafts to minimize any further damage to the seals. I assume that since the shafts are now rusting.. the only way to properly fix that is to change them. But I figured there might be a recommended way to clean up the shafts so they don't do any more damage until I can replace them. I was planning on taking 600 grit, or finer, wet/dry sand paper to them to clean up the rust... is there a better way??

TIA
Yes. 1st use a Brillo steel wool soap pad with water. Then do what Andy said on whats left to blend protrusions. Then for the future store the rods retracted or grease em.
larry

/ What is best way to clean up cylinder shaft? #4  
I do what Andy does, but I am a coward about the sandpaper. I cleaned up an old backhoe last Saturday with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper and diesel fuel. It takes a little longer, but I don't worry about scratching the rod. And, since I talked my wife into doing the sanding, I don't care how long it takes (hope she never looks at TBN).

/ What is best way to clean up cylinder shaft?
I used the 'shoeshine' method with a little oil and 400 grit followed by 600 grit wet/dry paper, cleaned up well. Wiped off well and put a little oil on shaft to keep it rust free until I hook it back up to the tractor and use it. I have no idea how I missed those nicks during my inspections. Thanks for all your suggestions.