Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader #1  

dieseldave56

Tractor
1951 Case Model DI
Howdy, Can I replace the rope type seals (?) on my OEM 1950 Case model DI with Lull front loader cylinder glands with V pack seals given they were the correct dimensions? Obviously the cylinders are dual action so the seals would have to be installed accordingly. I have not gotten any acceptable answers from vendors on this subject, and I reside far from any local civilization.

The cylinders gland seals now weep at low psi only and will hold 4000 psi for two (2) days before any leakdown. But I would like to be able to upgrade.

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader #2  
dieseldave56 said:
Howdy, Can I replace the rope type seals (?) on my OEM 1950 Case model DI with Lull front loader cylinder glands with V pack seals given they were the correct dimensions? Obviously the cylinders are dual action so the seals would have to be installed accordingly. I have not gotten any acceptable answers from vendors on this subject, and I reside far from any local civilization.

The cylinders gland seals now weep at low psi only and will hold 4000 psi for two (2) days before any leakdown. But I would like to be able to upgrade.
1950? upgrade?
will hold 4000 psi for two (2) days before any leakdown? I like the old stuff too Dave. How about the valve?or check-ball? no external leaks,I'd live with it.:)

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader #3  
Howdy Dave,

dieseldave56 said:
Howdy, Can I replace the rope type seals (?) on my OEM 1950 Case model DI with Lull front loader cylinder glands with V pack seals given they were the correct dimensions?

You can replace them with any type of seal given the same dimensions.

dieseldave56 said:
Obviously the cylinders are dual action so the seals would have to be installed accordingly. I have not gotten any acceptable answers from vendors on this subject, and I reside far from any local civilization.

You may find that the replacement seals do the same thing. Certain style seals only come in certain dimensions. If you can get a U-style urethane seal with a loader ring, you can solve your low pressure weeping. Loaded seals have a type of o-ring inside the U that holds the seal against the sealing surfaces at low pressure eliminating weeping or cylinder drift. Some cylinders need this, others do not. There are many variables that determine this. If they are the Vee style seals, you could mix in a urethane seal with your Vee pack to improve low pressure sealing. I like to use 1 urethane and 3 fabric. In a set of 5, you can use 2 urethane.

Personally, if this is all that's wrong with your 1950 cylinders, and this is just an inconvenience, I would not touch them. After resealing, you may not see an improvement. If someone brought these cylinders to my shop with your circumstances, I could not guarantee an improvement.

This catalog should help. - Hercules. Look up VR style seals. I think that's what you have. Believe it or not, this style seal is still used in new equipment. Measuring is easy. They are very inexpensive so do yourself a favor and order extra.

Need any help, just ask.
Andy.

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader
Excellant !!! Thanks so much Andy and YM-135 trac.

The hydraulics work well. Only leaks are from a pipe connection that i will address and the weeping cylinder packing glands. The pump was rebuilt, the spool seals replaced and a Vickers hydraulic filter added to the system along with new high pressure and low return hoses. I found out yesterday , from the previous owner's son that the system was flushed with hi detergent ATF, several times ( working the system between each flush and fill with ATF) before the hydraulics were worked on. The young man told me that he thought that AW 32 fluid was used ( being that was the only five (5 ) gallon containers he found in the garage.

I may want to swap AW 46 hydraulic fluid ( being that the OEM recommendation was for SAE 30) and see how the system operates and possibly stop the gland weeping.

P.S. the piston rods have no gouges and seem smooth to the finger nail test . :) and are not plated . I'm a retired marine and automotive machinist so providing the correct dimensions or assy will not be a problem.

Thanks again YM-135 trac and Andy . This is my first tractor ( I'm from the big city and now live in a very ,very rual, secluded section next to the Deschutes National Forest.) I hobby with high tech Z06 Corvettes, but I'm really enjoying this Case DI.:D

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader #5  
If it were me I would see if I could find seals and get them for future use. However, there is an old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If doesn't leak any more than that I would not worry about it on that piece of equipment. :)

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader #6  
DieselDave, AW-68 is much closer to your SAE 30 oil. I'd give that a shot. In my opinion, the ATF flush was a great move. I see so many older cylinders with cylinder wall rusting from old, comtaminated oil. Sounds like your cylinders are in good shape.
Good Luck, Andy.

Tripple T , I am going to pursue the gland seals for sure, but being a retired machinist and also being accused of being a perfectionist, I just can't let anything leak, ya know.

Andy , I had forgotten AW 68 as an option . I thought it went from AW 46 to AW 100. Thanks again for the infomation.

DD:)

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader #8  
I also agree with the aw68 recomendation. never know.. that might be enough by itself.

soundguy

Thanks to all for their help with a weeping cylinder. I swapped out the AWH 32 for AWH 68 and the weeping from both the cylinders and myself have stopped.
Additionaly added pressure gauges to monitor the cylinder psi.
All is well. Thanks , Dave

/ Packing gland seals in 1950 Case DI loader #10  
Yep, when I was maintenance manager of a warehouse, all the forklifts had AW-32 in them even though the manufacturer called for AW-46. Not much difference there you would think. This came about when they got in a drum of the 32 by mistake and ran it. The operators, who were paid by the piece, noticed a speed difference and cried for the thinner oil. What happened? Leak city. This was before my time. I then ordered AW-46. When we started replacing the 32 with 46, leaks stopped. Operators complained that their lifts were slower, but we had a discussion and they agreed that a little slower lift was better than one in the shop getting leaks repaired all the time.