Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    ford 700

Default Re: Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump?

Did you ever find out any more about that pump. I have one and haven't found anything yet. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by betterbuilt View Post
    Did you ever find out any more about that pump. I have one and haven't found anything yet. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks
    I never did find anything out. I haven't even started the project that I was going to do with it. I know it was hooked to a 16 hp Kohler engine and drives everything on the mower... wheels, reels, rams, and everything.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    ford 700

Hey thanks for the effort. I was hoping to use mine on a log splitter but it may not be worth the hassle.

Your rover idea has me wondering if that's what I should build in the future. I have access to another of the greens mowers that's almost all there. I could rob the rest of the components from it.

Thanks BB

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

I general, a 16 HP engine can support an 8 GPM pump, at 3000 psi. What your pump looks like to me is the large pump drives the wheel motors, and the smaller piggyback pumps drive the reel mowers on the greens cutter. You could probably use it as a log splitter pump. You may be able to separate those extra pumps off and put a cover plate on the one pump.

If you were to use a 4 in bore with 2 in shaft, then you could expect about 18.5 ton of force from that engine and pump.

If you check around at some of the golf course maintenance facility, they might still have manuals and schematics on the mower.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    ford 700

I have a 12hp Wisconsin I was gonna use. I'm not so sure what I'm gonna do. I thought the mower I got the pump from was 24 hp.

My Pto pump died last fall and I've been trying to figure out if I should buy a new PTO pump or use the parts I have laying around. I'm not sure I want to take this pump apart. I haven't done it before and I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good pump learning. Thanks I'll keep you posted if I find anymore out about the pump. BB

Tractor

I think for a log splitter you'd be better to get a single pump. You could loop the extra three pumps on this barnes, but it seems like the effort and risk would outweigh any savings.

I've wondered about pulling a motor off one of the mower reels and using it as a pump.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

I have this same setup, was planning on using parts to build a log splitter also. I am planning on using a 4X24 cylinder from Surplus Sales, will using the large outlet pump,(used to drive the wheels on a Jacobsen mower) work or is buying a new two stage pump the way to go. I would think the 16hp Kohler would be plenty of power but not sure, this is my first attempt at this.
    Any information or suggestions are welcome, I will post pictures of the pump and valves later.
    Thanks, Patrick

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by StPat5837 View Post
    I have this same setup, was planning on using parts to build a log splitter also. I am planning on using a 4X24 cylinder from Surplus Sales, will using the large outlet pump,(used to drive the wheels on a Jacobsen mower) work or is buying a new two stage pump the way to go. I would think the 16hp Kohler would be plenty of power but not sure, this is my first attempt at this.
    Any information or suggestions are welcome, I will post pictures of the pump and valves later.
    Thanks, Patrick
    Based on my experience, it would be better to get a two stage pump.

Tractor
    ford 700

Just to update this thread. I came across another project which happened to be a towable backhoe. I tried a different pump but that one needed more power then the 12hp Wisconsin could put out. I decided to try the Barnes pump. I took it apart and put the gears and the woodruff key out of the three unneeded sections. It works like a charm. I'm still surprised at how easy it was to pull the thing apart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12