Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump?

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #11  
Did you ever find out any more about that pump. I have one and haven't found anything yet. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump?
Did you ever find out any more about that pump. I have one and haven't found anything yet. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

I never did find anything out. I haven't even started the project that I was going to do with it. I know it was hooked to a 16 hp Kohler engine and drives everything on the mower... wheels, reels, rams, and everything.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #13  
Hey thanks for the effort. I was hoping to use mine on a log splitter but it may not be worth the hassle.

Your rover idea has me wondering if that's what I should build in the future. I have access to another of the greens mowers that's almost all there. I could rob the rest of the components from it.

Thanks BB

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #14  
I general, a 16 HP engine can support an 8 GPM pump, at 3000 psi. What your pump looks like to me is the large pump drives the wheel motors, and the smaller piggyback pumps drive the reel mowers on the greens cutter. You could probably use it as a log splitter pump. You may be able to separate those extra pumps off and put a cover plate on the one pump.

If you were to use a 4 in bore with 2 in shaft, then you could expect about 18.5 ton of force from that engine and pump.

If you check around at some of the golf course maintenance facility, they might still have manuals and schematics on the mower.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #15  
I have a 12hp Wisconsin I was gonna use. I'm not so sure what I'm gonna do. I thought the mower I got the pump from was 24 hp.

My Pto pump died last fall and I've been trying to figure out if I should buy a new PTO pump or use the parts I have laying around. I'm not sure I want to take this pump apart. I haven't done it before and I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good pump learning. Thanks I'll keep you posted if I find anymore out about the pump. BB

I think for a log splitter you'd be better to get a single pump. You could loop the extra three pumps on this barnes, but it seems like the effort and risk would outweigh any savings.

I've wondered about pulling a motor off one of the mower reels and using it as a pump.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #17  
I have this same setup, was planning on using parts to build a log splitter also. I am planning on using a 4X24 cylinder from Surplus Sales, will using the large outlet pump,(used to drive the wheels on a Jacobsen mower) work or is buying a new two stage pump the way to go. I would think the 16hp Kohler would be plenty of power but not sure, this is my first attempt at this.
Any information or suggestions are welcome, I will post pictures of the pump and valves later.
Thanks, Patrick

I have this same setup, was planning on using parts to build a log splitter also. I am planning on using a 4X24 cylinder from Surplus Sales, will using the large outlet pump,(used to drive the wheels on a Jacobsen mower) work or is buying a new two stage pump the way to go. I would think the 16hp Kohler would be plenty of power but not sure, this is my first attempt at this.
Any information or suggestions are welcome, I will post pictures of the pump and valves later.
Thanks, Patrick

Based on my experience, it would be better to get a two stage pump.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #19  
Just to update this thread. I came across another project which happened to be a towable backhoe. I tried a different pump but that one needed more power then the 12hp Wisconsin could put out. I decided to try the Barnes pump. I took it apart and put the gears and the woodruff key out of the three unneeded sections. It works like a charm. I'm still surprised at how easy it was to pull the thing apart.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #20  
Not to bring up an old thread but J_J is indeed correct and I agree. I run a golf course maintenance shop and we have one dinosaur (by today's standards) Toro 5500D reel mower. I recently rebuilt the hydraulic transmission in that unit and it has a similar three section style gear pump hooked to the other side of it. The setup goes Kubota diesel, driveshaft from engine to top of hydraulic trans, hydraulic trans to front differential (almost like a Ford 9" center section) and then gear pump coupled to the opposite side of the top of the hydraulic trans. Toro is the same way with pumps and a lot of parts. I've ran into this multiple times. It will be stamped Haldex and only have a Toro part number stamped on it. Same thing with the hydraulic transmissions/hydrostats, it could be an Eaton, Sundstrand Sauer/Danfoss and it will only be labeled with a toro#. Best thing is to Google Toro service manuals which are actually very in depth and then use a place like SunSource for parts.

Last edited: