Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump?

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I picked up a Jacobsen reel mower as a parts donor for a project I'll be working on. It's a Greens King IV.

The hydraulic pump has a tag on it that says "John S. Barnes Corp." The date on the pump is 9/84, and the serial number is 131347. I tried looking for some specs online and I didn't find anything. Does anyone know where to find specs for this pump?

It's a quadruple pump. There is one large line with its own input and then there are three additional lines with a common input. I was hoping to find some information about the displacement, recommended RPM, output, pressure, flow, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #2  
If I remember correctly, John S. Barnes was bought by Haldex corporation. If you can get a model code off of the pump, you may be able to cross it over with their current litrature. Hope this helps on your hunt.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump?
MH49 said:
If I remember correctly, John S. Barnes was bought by Haldex corporation. If you can get a model code off of the pump, you may be able to cross it over with their current litrature. Hope this helps on your hunt.

That explains why whenever I do a web search on John S. Barnes I keep getting results for Haldex.

The numbers I posted are about all there is. This pump is interesting because I looks like it's sectional. There are four different outputs, and it looks like each comes from a separate unit. It's like a stack valve, but this one is a stack pump.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #4  
I would be willing to bet that it is the Haldex/Barnes 'W' series pumps. Check it out here W Series Pumps

MH49 said:
I would be willing to bet that it is the Haldex/Barnes 'W' series pumps. Check it out here W Series Pumps

Thanks for the link. I went there, but I don't think that's what this pump is. I attached some pictures below. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    372.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 1,128
   / Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #6  
Jacobsen seems to be pretty tight with any information regarding stuff designed and built to their specs. I've tried several times to locate alternate sources to fix a variety of Jacobsen golf equipment when local Jake dealers were not very responsive, and further it seemed at times, that Jacobsen itself was even less helpful.

Bottom line is that I'm not sure you are going to learn too much unless you get connected with somebody inside the "family".

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #7  
Here is something to try as a last ditch effort. If you pull the pump apart, you can measure the gears and determine the flow using the following formula:

GPM = ((Gear O.D.)^2 - (Gear I.D.)^2) x Gear Width x 4.1

This will give you the theor. flow @1800 rpm.

I think the Toro Tri-Plex mower used the same pump so you might want to attack it from that angle as well.

/ Specs on a John S. Barnes Pump? #8  
Iplayfarmer said:
Thanks for the link. I went there, but I don't think that's what this pump is. I attached some pictures below. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Those pumps look like the ones used to power the hydraulic motors on greens cutting equipment. The hydraulic motors turn the reel mowers. I have seen them on Ebay.

Try the maintenance dept at golf courses.

MH49 said:
If you pull the pump apart, you can measure the gears and determine the flow...

How involved is pulling it apart? I'm a little hesitant. Are there many little parts inside of these pumps that I would risk not being able to put back together again?

The other thing I had thought of was filling the tank and putting a line off of each of the four outputs to four different containers. If I made a mark on the input drive and turned it a specific number of turns I could measure the resultant volume and calculate the volume per revolution. I could use that to determine the gmp flow at a given rpm.

J_J said:
Those pumps look like the ones used to power the hydraulic motors on greens cutting equipment. The hydraulic motors turn the reel mowers. I have seen them on Ebay.

Try the maintenance dept at golf courses.

That's exactly what this pump is. I poached an old greens mower that a local scrap guy had picked up for other parts. I got the pump, both motors for the drive wheels, and a 5 spool gresen valve along with the chassis.

I'm planning to use the two motors to drive the separate sides of a tracked vehicle. I'm just trying to get some idea of what it will put out so that I don't end up taking off at 30 mph on the maiden voyage.

Your idea to talk to the golf course guys is not bad. I may go make a new friend on lunch today.