Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own

/ Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own #1  

BBlocker

Tractor
Ford 3910
I have a 1989 Ford 3910 4-wheel drive tractor (my first tractor, by the way) that has been running fine for months, but recently while bush hogging has been dropping the bush hog down to the ground occasionally. It will lift it again for a while, then drops it again. Sometimes, but not always, the PTO also stops. The PTO is the independent PTO, not the transmission PTO.

I've had several neighbors and family members suggest different things - change the hydraulic filter, leak in the hydraulic pump seals, bad hydraulic pump itself. Does anyone here have any suggestions for things that I can try to pinpoint the problem?

I've never repaired a tractor before, but I don't mind learning new things and getting my hands dirty. I just don't want to get in over my head.

/ Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own #2  
If the pto is stopping.. then I'd deffinately get a pressure gauge on the system.. presure keeps the pto hyd clutchpack engaged.

soundguy

/ Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own #3  
Have you checked the oil level? I sure wished they had a dipstick on the 3910.:D

/ Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own #4  
BBlocker said:
I have a 1989 Ford 3910 4-wheel drive tractor (my first tractor, by the way) that has been running fine for months, but recently while bush hogging has been dropping the bush hog down to the ground occasionally. It will lift it again for a while, then drops it again. Sometimes, but not always, the PTO also stops. The PTO is the independent PTO, not the transmission PTO.

I've had several neighbors and family members suggest different things - change the hydraulic filter, leak in the hydraulic pump seals, bad hydraulic pump itself. Does anyone here have any suggestions for things that I can try to pinpoint the problem?

I've never repaired a tractor before, but I don't mind learning new things and getting my hands dirty. I just don't want to get in over my head.

if you'll give me an hour or so, i can look in my manual and find the name of the part you might want to have checked out. i had this same issue awhile back, and all it was, was a ring had gone bad in the 3pt lift and was causing it not to hold any pressure. it might not be whats wrong with yours but deffinatley worth a shot to check out nonetheless. i was all worried it was going to cost me $$$.....ended up only being a $40 problem.

as for the PTO stopping on you occasionally, that I really wouldnt know where to begin to tell you. is it jumping out of engagement or is it still engaged, just not turning?

/ Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own
RollingsFarms said:
as for the PTO stopping on you occasionally, that I really wouldnt know where to begin to tell you. is it jumping out of engagement or is it still engaged, just not turning?

What do you mean by jumping out of engagement? What happens is it stops turning, but then starts up again after a little bit. It's almost like it got tired and needed a break, but I know that's not normal.

sunspot said:
Have you checked the oil level? I sure wished they had a dipstick on the 3910.:D

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm still getting to know the tractor. Where do I check the oil level? I see where the hydraulic filter is (on the left side under the foot plate). In the manual it looks like the transmission oil and hydraulic oil are the same - is that right? Where would I pour in more hydraulic oil to top it off?

/ Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own #7  
BBlocker said:
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm still getting to know the tractor. Where do I check the oil level?
Not dumb at all. It took me three weeks to find out where to check the hydraulic oil level. The transmission oil and hydraulic oil are not the same.

The hydraulic oil filler is in back of the seat on the top of the axle housing. There is one on the left and right side.
The level check is done by removeing a plug on the right side and see if oil runs out. If it does, you are gold. If not, add oil.
The plug is a 1/2" pipe thread and a 4 or 8 point socket of 1/4" size is used to remove it. I have to check my manual but I think you check the level with the 3 point as high as it will go. Here is a picture of the plug.
untitled.jpg

Here is a picture of the back of my tractor. Based on what you are saying, I should put hydraulic fluid in both sides - is that right?

IMG_5378.jpg

/ Ford 3910 3-point drops on its own #9  
BBlocker said:
Here is a picture of the back of my tractor. Based on what you are saying, I should put hydraulic fluid in both sides - is that right?
Pick the side that's the easyer for you. They both dump to the same place.
Did you check the level yet?
The first thing I did with my new/old tractor was check all fluid levels (except the hydraulic), greased all fittings, changed the motor oil and filter and check tire pressue.
The transmission has a dip stick to the right and forward of the stickshift.

I looked again at the picture. Ah, where the heck is your top link of the 3 pt?

Last edited:
The hydraulic oil level was low. I poured a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil into it, and the lift is much more responsive now. When the rain stops, I'll go mow a section of the field to see how it handles, then I'll report back.

I took the top link off so I could have better access to the plug.