460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem #1  

medic442

I have a 460 utility and I am having lift problems. The other day I was moving some dirt with the loader. After about 8 loads I went into the pile, pushed up on the lever and nothing. Backed out and the list dropped about 8-10 inches. I tried to lift it again and it dropped again and stopped. Let the tractor idle for a few seconds and it went up slow and whined. The power steer started to whine also and was harder to steer.

I am going to replace the filter etc etc? so what do you think the problem is????? Pump??? Something in the spools????

I am going to put a pressure gauge on it first. Planning on hooking to the quick connect after i disconnect all the cylinders. I assume this would be ok?

Thanks for the help!!

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem #2  
Sounds like your low on fluid, water in the fluid, or the pump is cavitating due to a blockage on the return side of the pump.

Replace filters and clean the screen carefully. A pressure test is also a great idea-just plug the gauge into one of the loader ports and operate the joystick to energize that port for a few seconds and observe the reading.

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem
no cavitation that i can tell. fluid is clear no milky white stuff or bubbles. the fluid level is fine. worked great until i rebuilt the cylinders. i ran them up and down a bunch of times. it worked great for a while then....... crapsville.... lol

thanks for the help

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem #4  
I just saw your question, so I'm probably a little late with this. It might just be an air bubble in the system that has been lurking in there awhile. My IH 3414 has this problem occasionally after I blow a loader or backhoe line. I wonder if all the small air bubbles find a corner of the system to "hide", and then work their way up later when a large demand is required. Don't know if this makes sense, but it's kind of unnerving to have the loader or backhoe drop suddenly for no apparent reason....Dan.

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem #5  
If everything else is fine and the problem started after rebuilding the cylinders, it's possible one or more of the connections, fittings or even the cylinder parts are not seated/tightened up enough? Air might be getting in there. A pressure test is a good idea.
If "everything worked great until I rebuilt the cylinders", then why did you rebuild?

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem #6  
I had the same problem this week with my 460. It was slow to lift and if I increased RPM it would stop lifting and even drop. I was low on fluid. I top off the fluid and changed the filter. Didn't help. The more I worked it the better it worked. After all day it works fine. I think it was air in system.

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem
well i dont know what is wrong with it. i put another gallon of fluid in it and it still did not help. parked it and heard a little hiss from one of my quick connects. so i swapped the hose (now the down goes up and up goes down)..... works pretty good now. still a little slow under a load.... but hey it works!!!!! lol i kinda like the operation better that way. who would have thought!!!! lol

so i guess its an air leak! guess the next step is to change the ends and see what happens.....

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem #8  
I am having a similar problem on my 300 series loader. Just all of a sudden the lift is supper slow. I saw I was low on fluid and added about a gal. and disconnected and reconnected the quick connects and still have the problem. I知 hoping it is just air in the system? I only have 150 hrs on the loader and tractor since I bought it. is there a secret to getting air out of the system?

Lee

/ 460 utility lift/ hydraulic problem #9  
L_Nicholson said:
I am having a similar problem on my 300 series loader. Just all of a sudden the lift is supper slow. I saw I was low on fluid and added about a gal. and disconnected and reconnected the quick connects and still have the problem. I知 hoping it is just air in the system? I only have 150 hrs on the loader and tractor since I bought it. is there a secret to getting air out of the system?

Lee

Lee, the recommended procedure to get air out is to cycle the loader (UP/DOWN, and DUMP/CURL) repeatedly several times. It does not sound like "slow" movement is air related.