Hydraulic 3pt pump seal kit replacement Case/NH DX-40 questions.

/ Hydraulic 3pt pump seal kit replacement Case/NH DX-40 questions. #1  

cpeters

I have also posted this in the NH and Case Forums

Has anyone replaced the gaskets in a case DX-40 hydraulic pump using the SBA340293698 seal kit from the dealership?

This is an early DX-40 3pt hydraulic pump (KYB).

On either side of the pump plate is a gasket looking like a figure 8. When I pulled the pump apart it just had the gasket.....the new improved kit has 4 teflon looking beveled pieces that appear to go on either before or after the gasket to maybe re-inforce the gasket, or maybe these help with a pump with a little bit of wear.

I put the pump back together what appears to be the obvious way and am just a little concerned that you cant turn the shaft with your fingers.

Also the 4 ends of the blocks that house the pump shaft bearings are labeled two with the number 4 and two with the letter E. On the side of the pump wih the shaft there is a number 4 so I am pretty sure that is where the 4 goes and with that all of the others can only go one way.

So I am looking for someone who in familiar with this particular pump.

Question 1.
Is my assumption about the numbered and lettered bearing blocks correct?

Question 2.
I am interested in the designed purpose of the nylon looking gasket supports for the figure 8 gaskets on each side. Is it to be used in all pumps or just special applications? I put the nylon pieces on then the gasket....it could go either way but I want to make sure of the designed way before I put the pump on the tractor.

Question 3.
How much effort should it take to turn that pump shaft. The shaft turns easily with 2 fingers until you tighten the end plates then you have to put something on it to turn it. It does not turn difficult it is just not as easy as I would expect...that concerns me. It takes 20 inch lbs to turn the shaft.

I am going to call Messick Power who I ordered the parts tomorrow....I tried today and was on hold for a while.

Thanks in advance.

By the way here is the link to my original issue with my tractor if you are interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/case-ih/123139-dx-40-hydraulic-oil-engine.html

Charlie