Log splitter

/ Log splitter #1  

sly601

Hello All

A couple years ago I built a log splitter using parts from northern tools.I used the standerd log splitter valve (cheep) Now i would like to add a hydraulic log lift. What valve would i use to run the ram and the lift. I know that their is one. Could anyone give me a model number of such a valve? I'm not that knowledgable with hydraulics, I fabricate pretty good and have a great splitter.
Thanks Sly

/ Log splitter #2  
Keep your detent valve for your ram. Cut a tee into your supply line to operate your lift. You will need an adjustable valve or diverter to control the pressure for your lift.

/ Log splitter #3  
Cut a tee into your supply line to operate your lift
This will not work, you cannot Tee high pressure hydraulic lines on open center systems. The fluid will "take the path of least resistance" and you will never can any usable pressure in the valve you add.

Sly601:
Keep the valve you have, and add a new 4-way, 3-position, Open Center valve in series with it. Basically OUT of the existing valve to IN of the new valve.
Something like THIS VALVE from the SurplusCenter would work well, just verify the size hoses and fittings you have currently.

Oh, and WELCOME TO TBN:D

/ Log splitter #4  
I have bought a log splitter from SeptStars international, it works well .
30ton gas log splitter with good quality valve .
I think you could have a try , and the website is Log splitter | Wood splitter .:)

This will not work, you cannot Tee high pressure hydraulic lines on open center systems. The fluid will "take the path of least resistance" and you will never can any usable pressure in the valve you add.

Sly601:
Keep the valve you have, and add a new 4-way, 3-position, Open Center valve in series with it. Basically OUT of the existing valve to IN of the new valve.
Something like THIS VALVE from the SurplusCenter would work well, just verify the size hoses and fittings you have currently.

Oh, and WELCOME TO TBN:D

/ Log splitter #5  
I have bought a log splitter from SeptStars international, it works well .
30ton gas log splitter with good quality valve .
I think you could have a try , and the website is Log splitter | Wood splitter .:)

This thread is 3 years old. Besides, the person you quoted WASNT looking to buy a splitter:D

But welcome to TBN anyway.

By the way, can you tell me how those splitters can achieve 37 tons of force with a 5" cylinder and only 3500PSI?????:confused2::confused::confused2::confused:

By my calculations, you would either need OVER 3750psi OR a 5.25" cylinder.

/ Log splitter #6  
My guess is that he has a financial interest in the unit he linked...

/ Log splitter #7  
My guess is that he has a financial interest in the unit he linked...

Yeah, I kinda thought that as well. That's why I questioned the ratings:laughing:

/ Log splitter #9  
Here is a comparison of some splitters....Speeco and other Speeco manufactured splitters are "suspect"...entire program overated??
Same with this IMS splitter 37ton....no way??

Top of the line Timberwolf is doing good.....63 tons at 2500psi 8" cyl....

Speaking of the IMS 37 ton logsplitter.........

I bought one of these new from IMS in April 2011. Every time I use it something breaks or malfunctions...... first it was one of the hydraulic hose fittings, next the 9 hp Lowther engine failed (needed to be completely replaced) because the gas (treated with Sta-bil) sat in the carb bowl for longer than 1 month.... next the hydraulic controller failed.... next the lovejoy coupler broke....taking that apart, the cast mount cracked..... then one of the cutting blades broke off. It had rust colored pitting INSIDE the casting. I have MAYBE 30 hours max on this logsplitter!

I've had to keep dragging this thing back to IMS for repairs. To their credit, they've fixed most of it under warranty, but its proven to be the most unreliable logsplitter... the most unreliable power tool I've ever owned. Very frustrating. And yeah, I regret buying it.

:mur:

/ Log splitter #10  
prince hydraulics designed a valve for that purpose model RD522CCEA5A4B1 a 2 spool valve should be able to get it from northern or bailey for about 250 bucks they call it the logsplitter/lifter valve