Hydraulic PSI Question

/ Hydraulic PSI Question #1  

jmolwitz

Tractor
Struck Magnatrac MT3000
My Friend Frank has informed me that to figure out the power of an individual cylinder I should multiply the psi X the bore of the cylinder . For example 1000psi X 6" bore = 6000lbs of lift . My problem is that this only accounts for 6 square inches of piston pressure . I would personaly think that one would take the bore size and multiply times pie=3.14 and then multiply times the pressure = 18.84sq inches X 1000 psi = 18840 lb of lift .
Is this an Industry standard that frank is talking about , I want to know where the other 12.84 sq goes :confused: In my mind the oil acts on the entire top of the piston , not just 6 sq in .

What do you guys think ?:)

/ Hydraulic PSI Question #2  
To calculate the cylider's linear force you multiply the pressure times the area that the pressure is acting upon. In your case, the cylinder area is pi times the cylinder radius squared or 3.14159 x 9 square inches or 28.27 sq. inches. Times your pressure will yield 28,270 lbs of force.

/ Hydraulic PSI Question
So its even more than I thought:cool: Thanks Bruce :)

/ Hydraulic PSI Question #4  
jmolwitz said:
My Friend Frank has informed me that to figure out the power of an individual cylinder I should multiply the psi X the bore of the cylinder . For example 1000psi X 6" bore = 6000lbs of lift . My problem is that this only accounts for 6 square inches of piston pressure . I would personaly think that one would take the bore size and multiply times pie=3.14 and then multiply times the pressure = 18.84sq inches X 1000 psi = 18840 lb of lift .
Is this an Industry standard that frank is talking about , I want to know where the other 12.84 sq goes :confused: In my mind the oil acts on the entire top of the piston , not just 6 sq in .

What do you guys think ?:)

Tech help. Click below. Select Calculators, then Force and speed

SURPLUS CENTER TECHNICAL HELP

/ Hydraulic PSI Question #5  
That's a great tech reference -- Thanks

/ Hydraulic PSI Question #6  
JMOLWITZ, don't forget that the force generated by the pressurized
oil in the extend direction is greater than that in the retract direction.
The retract direction calculation requires that you subtract the cross
sectional area of the rod from the cross sectional area of the piston.

/ Hydraulic PSI Question #7  
The hydraulic calculator mentioned above will figure both extended and retraction forces.